1. Community Tip: Please Give Thanks to Those Sharing Their Knowledge.
    If you receive helpful answer on this forum, please show thanks to the poster by clicking "LIKE" link for the answer that you found helpful.
  2. Community Tip: Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING)
    Click the link above to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This notice will disappear after you have made at least 3 posts.

VM backup failure

Discussion in 'VMWare / Virtual Machine' started by StiffBoard, Mar 9, 2017.

1. StiffBoard

StiffBoard ADSM.ORG Member

Totally new to Spectrum for VE, trying to figure things out here... looks a bit like the setup vSphere Data Protection which I've used some.

Everything Spectrum for VE related is installed on one single Windows machine.

Are all VM backups going through the Proxy? Do I need more diskspace for storing during backup or is traffic going directly to my backup server? Found a folder on my C drive during backup, C:\mnt\tsmvmbackup\fullvm\CDF_Local. Can't find in any .opt file if this is some patch I can change.

First try after setup ends with this after a couple of minutes:

ERROR ANS4174E Full VM backup of VMware Virtual Machine 'SERVERNAME' failed with RC=-1 mode=Incremental Forever

Checking in VMware and Snapshot seems to have worked fine. And luckily snapshot is removed after a failure, something VDP didn't do very well.

In the datamover error log:

03/09/2017 12:41:54 ANS9365E VMware vStorage API error for virtual machine 'V-DA'.
    IBM Spectrum Protect function name : VixDiskLib_Open
    IBM Spectrum Protect file : ..\..\common\vm\vmvddksdk.cpp (1868)
    API return code : 13
    API error message : You do not have access rights to this file
    03/09/2017 12:41:59 ANS0361I DIAG: miniThreadManagerThread:VmThreadReadTop(): thread queue error: rc=107.
    03/09/2017 12:42:00 ANS4174E Full VM backup of VMware Virtual Machine 'SERVERNAME' failed with RC=-1 mode=Incremental Forever - Full, target node name='VMBKP_DC1', data mover node name='VMBKP_DC1_DM'
    03/09/2017 12:42:00 ANS5283E The operation was unsuccessful.

3. StiffBoard

StiffBoard ADSM.ORG Member

API return code 13 and API error message You do not have access... suck. To many different things can generate this error, spent quite a few hours on this one. Port 902 blocked in firewall was the problem. This one was helpful http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21662673 the others weren't.