virtual file mapping problem

Mannans

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
PREDATAR Control23

Hi There

I currently run TSM 5.5.2 on a windows 2003 sp2 servers and 8.1.1 version of Ontap on Netapp filers . The exchange data is configured on Netapp as a lun and presented as a drive to the exchange servers. I backup from the Netapp filers using NDMP at the volume level. Ive been told that this is not exchnage aware and that i can backup the snapshots (which are mirrored to this filer which are exchange aware ) by using a virtual filemapping to the most recent snapshot. I have updated the vitual filemapping to :-

Node Name Virtual Filespace Filespace Path Hexadecimal
Mapping Name Name Path?
--------------- --------------------- ----------- ------------------------- -----------
UKLONSAN911_Monthly /ex_vol_sg08log /vol/ex_vol_sg08log /.snapshot/exchsnap_uklonmcs002_recent No

However when i generate a full backup

ANR2017I Administrator ADMIN issued command: BACKUP NODE
UKLONSAN911_MONTHLY /ex_vol_sg08log wait=no
mgmtclass=DAILY toc=yes mode=full (SESSION: 254444)

i get the following error message not long after a tape has been requested.......any ideas?

ANR2017I Administrator MANNANS issued command: BACKUP NODE uklonsan911_monthly
/ex_vol_sg08log mode=full toc=yes
ANR0984I Process 226 for BACKUP NAS (FULL) started in the BACKGROUND at
10:42:07.
ANR1063I Full backup of NAS node UKLONSAN911_MONTHLY, file system
/ex_vol_sg08log, started as process 226 by administrator MANNANS.
ANR8337I NAS volume E00359L5 mounted in drive DRIVE8 (rst4a).
ANR0513I Process 226 opened output volume E00359L5.
ANR9999D_0353444622 (ndlog.c:120) Thread<91>: NDMPLOG: E DATA: Backup
terminated: backup configuration failure (2) on RPC error: ERROR: B
ANR9999D Thread<91> issued message 9999 from:
ANR9999D_2446363296 (ndlog.c:120) Thread<91>: NDMPLOG: E DUMP: ERROR: stat on
FILESYSTEM path /vol/ex_vol_sg08log/.snapshot/exchsnap_uklo
ANR9999D Thread<91> issued message 9999 from:

PREDATAR Control23

Hi,

I have just tested it (TSM 5.5.5 Win2k3, ONTAP 8.1.1P1 - as close as I could get ....) and everything works - so it seems it is not the version incompatibility. Even tried the same volume/snapshot names ...

Code:
                     Node Name: NASTODISK
Virtual Filespace Mapping Name: /ex_vol_sg08log
                Filespace Name: /vol/ex_vol_sg08log
                          Path: /.snapshot/exchsnap_uklonmcs002_recent
             Hexadecimal Path?: No

You say that without the VIRTUALFSMAPPING (when doing backup of the base volume) it is running well?
Does the snapshot really exist? What about content of /vol/vol0/etc/log/backup file? Any errors?

Harry

PREDATAR Control23

yes i can backup the vol with no problems when the .snapshot isn't prenet in the path information. The problem with the backup is that it isnt exchange aware and ive been told that backing up the snapshots is? I dont want to go down the route of TDP if there is no reason too (hence thats why im investigating). Everything ive read in the red books suggests it should work so i dont know if this is something else that is wrong. The snapshot is there i can map a drive to the share and see the directory list:-

\\uklonsan911\ex_vol_sg08log$\~snapshot\exchsnap__uklonmcs002__recent

no errors in the backup file on the filer but i'll put debug

PREDATAR Control23

Hi,

when doing NDMP backups of full volumes, TSM does not care about content of the volume and therefore the backup is considered inconsistent. If you use the snapshot as a base for your backup, it depends - if your snapshot was created by application aware tool (like SnapManager for Exchange), then your backup is consistent.
Possible problem - in the name of the snapshot, SMforExchange uses TWO underscores - best thing to do is to cut&paste the snapshot name from ONTAP prompt ... (snap list ex_vol_sg08log).

Harry

PREDATAR Control23

we do use SME to generate the snapshots so backing up the snapshots would be good...i'll try that

PREDATAR Control23

everything looks correct there are no obvious missing underscores :-( . As i said we use SnapManager for exchange and the most recent snapshot is verified at 10pm so it should be consistant when a backup is generated.......if i can get it to work that is grrrrrrrrrrr

PREDATAR Control23

Hi,

try to create your own snapshot (snap create ex_vol_sg08log testsnap) and run backup using that one.
Show us your node, datamover, virtualfsmapping and drive paths definitions (just to be sure) and complete actlog and /etc/log/backup file.
Do not forget to turn on the NDMP debug log on the filer (options ndmpd.debug.enable on)

Harry

PREDATAR Control23

Hi Harry,

Thanks wierd thing here i created a test VFSM with exactly the same details as the existing filespace and it worked!!!

tsm: UKLONNMS033_SERVER1>q virtualfsmapping uklonsan911_monthly /test

Node Name: UKLONSAN911_MONTHLY
Virtual Filespace Mapping Name: /test
Path: /.snapshot/exchsnap__uklonmcs002__recent

tsm: UKLONNMS033_SERVER1>q virtualfsmapping uklonsan911_monthly /ex_vol_sg08log

Node Name: UKLONSAN911_MONTHLY
Virtual Filespace Mapping Name: /ex_vol_sg08log
Path: /.snapshot/exchsnap_uklonmcs002_recent

Are you aware of any limitations with updating filespaces that previously backed up at volume level and updating them to point to the snapshot level? I turned on debug on the filer (never wrote to any file only displayed messages on the console) but it didnt tell me anything. I used the filter 30 which displays actual NDMP messages and NDMP errors. I checked all my datamovers everything was fine....my backups had been working so no reason to believe anything wrong with them. a wierd one...i'm pleased it works but not sure if i really know why it failed and feel its a work around rather than a true fix.

Sarah

PREDATAR Control23

Hi,

seems the /test uses different snapshot than the /ex/vol/sg08log - the underscores differ ....
Switching from volume-level to snapshot-level is not a problem - each object is stored in its own filespace - so they do not collide. Changing the virtualfsmapping (snapshot name) is common and causes no problems at all ...

Harry

PREDATAR Control23

Harry,

Youre a genius i couldn't see for looking....yes looks like two underscores...changed it and it worked....Thanks so much!!! :)