VE Control Files & Data Files are not getting deleted

[email protected]

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hi All ,
'
So the Retention for VE backups in our environment is 15 days { and its set for 15 days and not versions } -

Of late we have been having issues with our storage pool getting full , so i was checking if there are any old snapshots which are left orphaned so i tried to pull info from "backups table" with the help of the below select command

"select FILESPACE_NAME,HL_NAME,LL_NAME,BACKUP_DATE from backups where node_name='VMWARE-NODE' and BACKUP_DATE <='2019-12-01' order by BACKUP_DATE "

-- Now to my surprise i got around 83 lakhs of lines in return for one VE node alone. And all of them are either .CTL files\control files or .DAT files\data files . I can understand why these files exists for past 15 days ( considering my retention is 15 days ) . But i can see Files from the past 2 years listed there.

Am i missing something ? is it supposed to be this way ?

How do i clean them up if its not supposed to be this way ?

PREDATAR Control23

Are they active? If yes they are still needed. Also, active files are not eligible for expiration

PREDATAR Control23

But why are they active files in the first place... they dont have to be active right.. all the .CTL & .DAT files are going to have a unique name .. but is this normal ?

PREDATAR Control23

With incremental forever, there will be .dat files taken on day1 that are still needed today because they have not changed since.

The way it works, each daily backup is grouped together. So if you do a backup now, the previous unchanged .dat files + the new .dat files are part of new group. So if you keep 15 days and do daily backups, you would have 15 groups.

Also, if you do a backup now, the client will delete the 16th group and all the .dat files not referenced by the existing 15 groups.