VCB - TSM Intergration

jdlangdon

Newcomer
Reaction score
Trying to intergrate VCB with TSM and I've run into an issue which I'm hoping someone can help me resolve.

Let me start off by saying that I am very confident that VCB is functioning correctly because the vcbMounter -h {virtual center} -u {username} -p {password} -a ipaddr:{vm } -r {mountpoint} -t file command does exactly what it is supposed to. I'm also very confident that TSM is functioning correctly because I cam able to backup and restore the VCB Proxy server. The problem is that I cannot get TSM to invoke VCB automatically at the start of a scheduled backup.

I am currently using the "IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Version 5.4 & 5.5 Technical Guide" as my reference point and I have followed the steps up to page 337. On page 338 it reads in step 1 "We run the dsmc backup vm command from the VCB proxy." However, this is where my problem starts.

The exact error message is "Executing Operating System command or script: vcbMounter -h 10.50.201.51 -u vRanger -p **** -a ipaddr:stjh0331 -r C:\mnt\tsmvmbackup\filelevel\stjh0331 -t file 'vcbMounter' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. Finished command. Return code is: 1 ANS9265E Failure mounting Virtual Machine 'stjh0331' with vcbMounter command. RC=1 ANS9264E Incremental backup of Virtual Machine 'stjh0331' failed with RC 1"

I think the problem is related to the -a ipaddr: section because if I manually type the command using the actual IP address it will work. However, I do not know where or which file needs to be edited to make this change from within TSM.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jason

I've tried both 5.5.0.5 and 5.5.0.6. Both are experiencing the same issue.

If I remember from the last I was working with this - two things happened. One - a set pre and post sched commands.; Two it was the syntax and where the switches lay in the command line. But I want to say - pre and post sched commands.
Obviously a system level account needs to execute all the above - and if multiple schedules are in place - they need separate log files and they cannot run in sequential order - the VCB mounter needs a bit of time to reschedule.

Hope this helps any

Last edited:
So when you run dsmc backup vm, you get this command? Or are you trying to schedule the job? If you are trying to schedule the job, are you using a command or script to call the backup?

Based on the error, it looks as if whatever or wherever you're running the command from, the vcbMounter command is not in your PATH. Are you trying to run a pre-sched command that mounts the vm? if you are, you might want to use a .cmd or .bat file to declare an environment variable for vcbmounter, or use the full path to the executable in the command.

Yes, I get this error message when I run "dsmc backup vm" from C:\Program files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient.

If I run "vcbMounter -h 10.50.201.51 -u vRanger -p **** -a ipaddr:stjh0331 -r C:\mnt\tsmvmbackup\filelevel\stjh0331 -t file"from a command prompt, it will work. This leads me to believe that my OS path statement is correct.

The only thing I can think of is that there is an .opt file somewhere that has a PATH variable and that the path to the vcbmounter is not entered there correctly.

Jason

Jason;
Lets do this
Manually mount the VM are of interest
then run your incr
then manually unmount it
If this works then.
Create a presched command insert the mount command of the VM area of interest.
Then run your incr from BA client dir - meaning you'll have to change your path.
Then create a postsched command to unmount the VM area and perform clean up
See what gives.
If it all works.

I dont thinks its your dsm.opt file - these all should be in your BA client directory.
I think you are dealing with the path to the vcbMounter command vs the dsmc incr commands.

Let us know

I'm really interested on this as many customers started to ask for a "easy" way to backup their VM. I was in Sevilla STG and during the TSM conference speaker clearly said that with TSM client 5.5 there was no need for pre and post commands and that the integration between TSM client and VCB Proxy was complete...but reading Jason's post it looks that there is something still wrong. Isn't it?

Back