VCB is backing up the wrong vmdk file

gerardo2475

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hello everyone;
I'm very new to TSM and VCB and I woudl like to see if I can get some help with trying to backup a newly restored system with VCB.
Recently I was asked to add several VMs to our weekly VCB schedule. We usually keep the VCB backups for a month. On Monday one of this systems failed and I was asked to mount the most recent backup of that system. I mount the VM and there was no problem, everything worked fine. As of now the restored system is up and running but the problem is that I'm trying to get a full image backup of this new system using VCB. The new system has a new UUID but it uses the same IP. Somehow when I run VCB it always go and start backing up the original system which had the failure. The original system was turned off, nic was removed,renamed and relocated to a different datastore. The System Admin requested to keep the old VM for couple weeks for further analysis, otherwise I will have deleted by now. Any Ideas of which setting needs to be changed to force the VCB on this newly restored system. To add a little bit more info we use IBM XIV as our SAN.
Thanks in advance.
Sincerely.

Gerardo Garcia

Hi,

TSM is using UUID of VM to backup.
So, if you like it to have backups run like in old VM, you should replace UUID of old system and replace new system UUID with old one.

Or, delete backups of old system removing its filespaces from TSM and start backups as fresh.

Here's a bit about UUID and TSM:
https://www-304.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg1IC77646

Yuki;
Thank you very much for the info, I will look into it.
Kind Regards.
Gerardo

Back