Vaulting/Offsite Tapes

jamesjfa

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
We had TSM installed around April last year and since then have not taken any tapes out or offsite. This now has to be addressed. We have a 30 slot library and within this library we have 27 tapes. These are:

2 x DbBackup

1 x Cleaning

2 x scratch

11 x Primary StgPools (mixture of full and filling)

11 x CpyTapePools (mixture of full and filling)

I have an additional 5 tapes that are yet to be labelled.

Can anyone advise me how to do this? Also can you make it as simple as possible as I am new at this.

I thought about Autovault but we are now wanting to spend the money on it.

If I need to buy more tapes, how many more would I need?

I would really appreciate it if you could help me out with this[email protected]

you can checkout the full copy pool tapes, and then label these 5 tapes.

it's easy, right?

:lol:

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>you can checkout the full copy pool tapes, and then label these 5 tapes.

it's easy, right?

:lol: </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Does anyone have any scripts or utils that would help me manage the library. How long would the tapes be offsite?

Does anyone have any scripts or utils that would help me manage the library. How long would the tapes be offsite?[/quote]

You probably want to send the DbBackup tapes offsite each day also. Our copypool tapes stay offsite until all the files have expired or they have been reclaimed.

First, if you have a 3583, check with IBM to get the latest microcode updates, and set the cleaning to automatic, then the library can use one otherwise unused slot at the top of each column to hold cleaning tapes. ... Now you can let the library handle it, not worry about it, and have some slots you didn't have otherwise.

Our process, before DRM, was to build a script in TSM that follows. that

first found tapes to go offsite. We manually ejected them and marked them as offsite, along with the database dump volume. We put the db backup tape in a tape container marked DB, and pulled it out whenver the tape case it was in came back in. The floppy with the corresponding volhist and device data, were paired with the tape, and pulled back in at the same time. Our script also queried the logs to get a quick check on the servers that are and are not backing up.

Supposedly this is enough given you know your system to put the world back together.

I never did get it back together using it, but I also got this company to purchase DRM.

We checked in the database and returnning copypool tapes as scratch tapes.

I hope this helps!

/* First, Copy Pool Tapes to go off site */

query volume * access=readw,reado -

status=full,filling stgpool=copypool

/* */

/* Second, List TODAYs DataBase backup tape */

query volhist type=dbbackup begindate=today

/* */

/* Third, List the volumes ready to come on-site */

query volume * access=offsite status=empty

/* */

/* Fourth, List all the events in the last */