Validate files

Ullskog

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I wonder if there's a way to validate files that are backed up with TSM, and then check if it's correct and all are backed up.

I did it the hard way once, expanded all subfolders when I used the GUI choosing restore. And I compared it with the files and subfolders I saw in explorer (MS), 1.3 million objects aren't fun to check :winks:

The reason why I did this was that TSM and TREESIZE (a Netware prog) showed different size but the objects was correct.

So if anyone have an idea how to fix this plz responde

//Richard

I thought that there was a "compare" or "validate" command but I must be thinking of another backup software.

The bad news is that there is no "compare" or "validate" parameter.

You can issue "query backup" to see what is backed up.

In the past this have burned me.

A real acid test is to do a restore. I do not mean to reastore everyting that was backed up. Creat a temporary directory and randomly select some files and restore them in the temporary directory. Then see if what was backed up is what you get.

I know that this is not want you want to do. I would love to see a "compare" or "validate" command.

Sias

I thought that there was a "compare" or "validate" command but I must be thinking of another backup software.

A real acid test is to do a restore. I do not mean to reastore everyting that was backed up. Creat a temporary directory and randomly select some files and restore them in the temporary directory. Then see if what was backed up is what you get.

I know that this is not want you want to do. I would love to see a "compare" or "validate" command.

Sias

Sias

I don't think this is exactly what you want ; but in TSM 5.1 there is a validate protocol

option to validate data as it's being sent to the server. The option is in the update node command. Of course this will make your backup run slower.

Back