Using Tapes from Another System

buster99

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hello, We have a situation where one of our locations that uses LTO tapes is no longer going to be using TSM for backups...this location has new and used tapes that I would like to use at another location with new labels...is there anything preventing us from loading previously used tapes into a new TSM environment with new labels ? Could the usual labeling script be used to load these tapes or would there be an issue because of their previous labelling and use ? Thank you

TSM is smart enough to know if another system touched the tape, you'd need to run the label libvol command with the overwrite=yes.

The main concern I see about using used tapes is you do not have an accurate mount/full write count of those used volumes.

Marclant, Thank you for the reply. So your concern is tracking tape quality ? Understandable. Hoping these aren't in se too long as we have a TSM software and library hardware upgrade planned for this year.

Marclant, Thank you for the reply. So your concern is tracking tape quality ? Understandable. Hoping these aren't in se too long as we have a TSM software and library hardware upgrade planned for this year.

Just to clear things: RecoveryOne replied to your post and not Marclant!

Yes, my main concern would be tape quality. Now, that said...I've done exactly what you are planning to do. Budgets being what they are, choices have to be made. What I did, was before decommissioning the other server, I got all the number of times mounted and full write passes from the volumes. I discarded the highest of both. But in my case, I had tapes with 4000+ mounts and 90 passes.

Yes, my main concern would be tape quality. Now, that said...I've done exactly what you are planning to do. Budgets being what they are, choices have to be made. What I did, was before decommissioning the other server, I got all the number of times mounted and full write passes from the volumes. I discarded the highest of both. But in my case, I had tapes with 4000+ mounts and 90 passes.
Ok, Gotcha...I don't have that option as that server has died before decom. It wasn't a heavily used location like the one I'm trying to use the tapes on. Thanks again for the replies.

LTO has bad reputation for maintaining read/write quality. I used 3592 tapes before and even old ones held up its quality for very long times.

LTO has bad reputation for maintaining read/write quality. I used 3592 tapes before and even old ones held up its quality for very long times.
My LTO6's seem to be doing better than previous generations (LTO1, 3, 4) by a factor of 3. I don't know much about the 7's and beyond how they are holding up. Then again, how we operate now vs when that media was in use is drastically different.

Back