Usage of Cleaning Tapes

echarlez

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
http
Hi all,

We have a TSM server 4.2 linked to a 3494 Library with 2 3590 drives.

We use 10 cleaning tapes.

How can I know how much time a cleaning tape has been used ?

Thanks in advance

:confused:

Your question is a 3494 question. I forget how to see the current cleaning count for a particular cartridge, but you set in the library manager the number of times a cleaning cartridge can be used, usually 100 times for 3590-E drives. When the library manager uses the cartridge the set number of times it will eject the tape. When our operators find an ejected cleaning cartridge they put the label on a new one and insert it back into the library. We have 2 in our library with 11 drives. TSM is basically unaware of cleanings in the 3494. At most you will see an error in the server’s logs that the drive needs cleaning. The 3494 operator’s manual explains how to set the cleaning count and how to view the current count for a cartridge.

Hope this Helps.

Andy

Hi there,

we have a TSM3494 library with 3590 tape cartridges. We have 5 x 3590 tape drives and use 4 labelled cleaning cartridges. Try this command to check the amount of available cleaning cycles in total:

mtlib -l /dev/tsmlib1 -q L (be careful running mtlib wich other options !!)

Since the amount of available scratch tapes is very important for us, we check it with this command:

dsmadmc -id=<user> -password= ,password>

"select count (*) as "no.of scratch tapes available"

from libvolumes where status='Scratch'"

Both commands are part of a script running as cron job 3 times a day.

If you are interested in that Korn-shell script drop me your e-mail address.

Hope that helps

Uwe

;)

Back