Upgrading client/server from V5.5 to V7.1

jeffs42885

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
We are currently using client 6.2 with Server 5.5 (AIX)

We have successfully installed a 7.1.1 Server (Linux) and are using the 6.2 client, we have not seen any issues at all. We want to upgrade all of our 6.2 clients to 7.1 for compliance and eventually migrate our remaining 5.5 servers to 7.1 (We already have the 7.1 TSM installations completed on remote servers.. we just need to export/migrate nodes and settings)

Question 1)

Can we upgrade the client directly from 6.2 to 7.1? Or do we need to goto 6.3 first?

Question 2)

As far as using the new 7.1 Servers, I am thinking this approach-

Upgrade the 5.5 Server to 6.3 Server, then export. Or can we do the export directly from 5.5 into 7.1?

Can we upgrade the client directly from 6.2 to 7.1? Or do we need to goto 6.3 first?
You can upgrade to any level client you desire, I'd recommend a 8.1 if your OS supports it.
Upgrade the 5.5 Server to 6.3 Server, then export. Or can we do the export directly from 5.5 into 7.1?
What do you mean by export? The upgrade utility helps you upgrade/migrate from 5.5. to 7.1 directly. On the same machine or to a new machine as long as it's on the same platform. You only need to do an export/import if you are going to a different type of platform.

Thanks Marclant.

We are currently using 5.5 on AIX. We plan to use 7.1 on Linux (On a new machine obviously..)

Ah, ok then export/import is needed. I don't recall if you can export 5.5 and import in 7.1. If I were you, I'd create a test node, do small backup to that node, test doing an export/import of that small node. If successful, you can use that to migrate your nodes. It would be less work if you don't need to upgrade the 5.5 server.

Also no harm in upgrading to 6.3 before either.

Just to confirm, it is actually possible to upgrade from 6.2 client to 7.1 client? I thought for some reason i had to go from 6.2, to 6.3, and then to 7.1.

Can i do 6.2 directly to 8.1? Would IBM support a client running 8.1, and a server running 7.1? I know sometimes they don't like mixed versions.

Thanks again.

I wasn't sure if 6.2 was possible, it says 6.3. I will start this :)

If you can let 5.5 server data age off then that would be best. If you have long term data you want to export you can do point-in-time exports.

Back