Unusual TSM server database size growth

Spree

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

I have a customer who has been using TSM for quite many years, around 2-3 months ago they have it upgraded to 8.1 version for the sake of IBM support.

Because of no additional resources they used their old server for the purpose, which has additional RAM to meet the minimum requirements. After these months of running we found the TSM server database growth seems to be unusual, when they are using the old version (6.2) the database size is just roughly over 20GB, but after 2-3 months of running, now their TSM server database is over 40GB. which seems unusual. Since they are also running TSM database backups to local disk, there were a few occassions when the disk becomes full and caused TSM service to stop.

We placed an IBM support call on this but there is no update as of today after a week, so I just come here and see if there could be any advice on this... TSM should be able to housekeep by default? Any reason why the database is growing like this? Any suggestions to shrink the database or at least make it not growing again? (I compared to 1 week ago that was around 40GB but it is now almost 42GB)

Please advise, thanks...

PREDATAR Control23

Still using legacy file pools or have you switched over to container pools?
Going from memory here but legacy file pools with dedup was about 600 bytes per chunk plus another 200 bytes for each copy storage pool that data was sent to.
If you are using container pools the size has gone up to 1000 bytes and I want to say another 1000 bytes for each copy. I could be mistaken.