Unrecognized characters in file names prevent backups?

ldmwndletsm

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
This issue has been raised here before, so not trying to reinvent the wheel, but could someone offer some additional information on this? We have some files with international characters in their file names. These files do not get backed up, and the TSM client dsmerror.log issues messages every night on these like this:

ANS4042E Object name 'xxxx' contains one or more unrecognized characters and is not valid.

An IBM document (https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/ans4042e-unrecognized-characters-during-backup-data-linux-clients ) suggests changing some of the locale settings. Based on this, as a test, I manually changed LANG from en_US.UTF-8 to en_US and LC_CTYPE (was undefined) also to en_US. I only changed them for the given shell. I then ran a manual backup, and this worked splendidly.

1. Why does TSM have to have these workarounds? Why can't it just back up the files? Why does it care?

I have been able to back up such files with EMC NetWorker, and I never observed any such problems. Different product, natch, just curious.

We're using systemd (Linux 7) to start two dsmcad processes on the client. We have two nodes (two stanzas in dsm.sys, two .opt files), so we use two different schedules that can overlap. We will need to have some of these variables set for these also.

2. Does anyone know if we can set the necessary locale variables, e.g. LANG, LC_ALL within the unit file (using the Environment directive to set the environment variable, e.g. Environment=LANG=US_en)? Will this work?

I would prefer not to force these settings any higher up (or lower down) than necessary. Can we restrict those settings just to TSM?

3. Is this something that needs to be set on each client? Is there any setting on the backup server that would resolve this?

Back