understanding License

gardenia

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi,

i have some series of question regarded to TSM licensing.. could any one help me out..

IBM tivoli storage manager storage area networks 10 value unit license - 40 nos
  • How to identify the above purchased license is for server or for the client??
  • Is there a separate license for server and for client??
  • wat does the 10 value unit mean??
  • how to understand the 40 nos to the 10 value unit..???
regards,

Gardenia.

Hi,

TSM is licensed per managed physical processor (core) - every CPU (core, to be exact) has its rating using Value Units (VUs). You just count your VUs and for every 10VUs you pay.
VU rating varies based on CPU type (x86, SPARC, Power)
here is the VU calculator and the table
https://www-112.ibm.com/software/howtobuy/passportadvantage/valueunitcalculator/vucalc.wss
http://www-306.ibm.com/software/lotus/passportadvantage/pvu_licensing_for_customers.html

As some cores count for 30VUs (quad+ cored SPARCs) and other for 50 or 100VUs, you have price set for 10VUs so it is "easily" computable

Example:
1 x86 singlecore CPU = 100VUs
1 x86 Dualcore CPU = 2x50VUs = 100VUs
1 PowerPC singlecore = 100VUs

If you have these three machines, you pay for 300VUs and can install how many TSM server and/or client instances on these three machines as they are still on the same physical machines.
If one machine has let's say Oracle installed, you need for that one 100VUs of TDP for Databases
Same for SAN networks clients

So - answers to your questions

TSM for SAN is license for Storage Agent (stripped down version of TSM server so it can access devices directly over SAN) - so you install it on client only.
If you have 40x10VUs, then you can install it on (for example) 4 singlecore machines of any type (equivalent of 400VUs)

Does that answer the question?

Harry

P.S. if anyone disagrees, let me know :)

Hi,
If you have these three machines, you pay for 300VUs and can install how many TSM server and/or client instances on these three machines as they are still on the same physical machines.

Hi, I guess you mean administrative clients. For TSM client (for FS backups) you need Client license, which is licensed per client, not per VU. At least this was I told by IBM business partner recently:)

Hi,

client license is ONLY for clients that do not share their resources - for example user's XP station, notebook etc. If it shares its data (files), then it is considered server and you need to license it using VUs.

Harry

Hi,

D56FPLL IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Storage Area Networks 10 Value Units License + SW Maintenance 12 Months

IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Storage Area Networks Client License + SW Maintenance 12 Months

Is that the one above is for server and the below one is for client???

Hi,

seems so :)
this is the first time I see client license for TSM for SAN ..... I wonder if anyone has a client type machine connected to SAN ......

How does your environment look like?

Harry

In speaking with IBM yesterday they told me anything other than the actual TSM server is covered by the client license, not the PVU model. We are working with our reseller to clarify as we were previously told everything was PVU based.

Hi,

Now i'm clear with the licensing concept. Just for my understanding i issued my query. An added question regarded to the TSM licensing.

IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Client License + SW Maintenance 12 Months - 1 nos

• From the above purchased client license . In how many systems do i can install my Tivoli client software. If i need to have 4 nos of client ,do i need to get license for 4?? I just want to confirm dat my understanding is correct.
IBM Tivoli Storage Manager 10 Value Units License + SW Maintenance 12 Months - 1 nos

• Similarly for TSM server, If i need to have 4 nos of server , do i need to get license for 4??

Back