Unavailable VTL volumes ... why?

c.j.hund

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi all,

I've come across a strange situation with one of my vtls. I have a small handful of virtual volumes which TSM will not mount. I can mark these tapes read/write, but when either a move data or migration process comes along and tries to mount the tape, that process will fail and the volume becomes unavailable again. There are no read or write errors on these volumes.

Ever day my migration processes are failing when they come across these bad volumes. Not sure how to move the data off them and/or get them fixed. Has anyone seen a situation like this before?

Sincere thanks,
C.J.

Whats your activity log say when you try to do a move data on them? Are there any errors on the VTL itself?

-Aaron

Whats your activity log say when you try to do a move data on them? Are there any errors on the VTL itself?

-Aaron

There is something damaged on these VTLs. Migrations report these types of issues:
11/19/2008 09:28:01 ANR1168W Migration skipping damaged file on volume....

And when I attempt to move the data off these volumes, I get:
11/20/2008 18:45:10 ANR1402W Mount request denied for volume.....
11/20/2008 18:45:10 ANR1410W Access mode for volume ********* now set to "unavailable".

These are IBM 7520's.

Thank you,
C.J.

Oh ... and these VTLs were just recently patched because of problems we were having. I think these bad VTL vols are a remnant of that. Not sure what to do with them, though.

Driver problem

the same happened with me and i just solved it, all you have to do is thefollowing:

1.uninstall the current driver.
2.go to device manager and right click the following and uninstall:
a.medium changer.
b.Changer bus enumerator.
c.Tape bus enumerator.
d.Tape drives.
3.RESTART THE TSM SERVER.
4.install the most updated driver from IBM site and then restart the server again.

the problem should be solved.

Thanks,
Rami Banna

Back