tsmdlst shows 2 libraries, although only one library exist ?

itblocks

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi,
when I run tsmdlst ; the out put:
TSM Name ID LUN Bus Port SSN WWN TSM Type Device Identifier
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mt4.0.0.2 4 0 0 2 1210337458 - LTO IBM ULT3580-TD3 73P5
lb4.1.0.2 4 1 0 2 00L4U78D7992_LL0 - LIBRARY IBM 3573-TL 4.40
mt5.0.0.2 5 0 0 2 1210337293 - LTO IBM ULT3580-TD3 73P5
lb5.1.0.2 5 1 0 2 00L4U78D7992_LL1 - LIBRARY IBM 3573-TL 4.40

although we have only one library connected to TSM.

When 'define library', which name should I use: lb4.1.0.2 or lb5.1.0.2 ?
This is the first time working on tape libraries, I'll appreciate a good reference for libraries/Tapes terms

When 'define library', which name should I use: lb4.1.0.2 or lb5.1.0.2 ?
This is the first time working on tape libraries, I'll appreciate a good reference for libraries/Tapes terms

You can use either. Just remember that each 'robot control' piggybacks to a tape drive.

If you use both - meaning both points to the same library name - you will have a fail-over setup.

Last edited:
i've deleted library,drives, and paths. and I'm redefine all.

This is the output :

tsm: TSM-SH1>DEFINE PATH TSM-SH1 LTO SRCTYPE=SERVER DESTTYPE=LIBRARY DEVICE=lb5.1.0.2
ANR1720I A path from TSM-SH1 to LTO has been defined.

tsm: TSM-SH1>DEFINE DRIVE LTO TAPE1
ANR8404I Drive TAPE1 defined in library LTO.

tsm: TSM-SH1>DEFINE DRIVE LTO TAPE2
ANR8419E DEFINE DRIVE: The drive or element conflicts with an existing drive in library LTO.
ANS8001I Return code 4.

the library has 2 tapes, what is the conflict came from ?
Any help please

Using the IBM tape device driver you should enable control path failover for multiple control paths to a single tape library. The second path becomes an alternate path to the library. Then you only define the primary path to the library in TSM and if that path should fail, the alternate path with be adopted by the operating system without the TSM application having to change any of its paths. On AIX '/usr/lpp/Atape/instAtape -a' enables global support for path failover, you can also enable it via smit or 'chedev -l smcX -a alt_pathing=yes' (where smcX is the change device names). In Windows just run the 'EnableCPF.reg' file for control path enablement on the next system reboot. This will completely change the device names you map to as you will see there will only be a single windows system device given to all paths for a given library.
As an example, we have a TS3500/3584 tape library with 13 X 3592 tape drives. Of the 13 tape drives, 4 drives have been assigned for control paths to the library. With 3592 drives, they have redundant SAN connections, so 4 X drives X 2 SAN paths = 8 control paths to the TS3500 library. When I initially zone my host, I see 8 X Medium Changer device paths all with different SCSI ID's and all with seperate device names which I could define to TSM. Once I enable CPF (Control Path Failover) on the device driver, I get a primary (AIX) or single device path (Windows) I can define to TSM and the redundant paths take care of themselves.

Back