TSM4VE missing schedule

Q

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Our TSM4VE server is missing one group of server backups. ALL the other groups work fine. No errors in the log. It is like it does not even try to start the scheduled job. I have deleted it and re-created it, but that did not help. Running TSM4VE 7.1.4 and TSM 7.1.4 on AIX

Are there any messages written to the server activity log around the time when your 'missing' schedule is due to start?

I had issues a while ago where schedules could not run concurrently, so appeared to have been missed completely. i.e. the data mover could only run one schedule at a time, if they overlapped the later schedule would fail.

Cheers
Darren

I upgraded to the latest version and all is well.

what versions do you use now as server and as client?
thx
seb

Are your different "server groups" on different data movers?

Yes. We have two TSM4VE servers, at different locations.

May be worth mentioning, going to the 8.1 client for VE has been a big improvement with my environment. We were on various 7.1 releases, and the jump from 7.1.6 to 8.1 seems to have offered a fair number of stability improvements. Currently backing up over 450 VM's with 7 datamovers. My server level is 7.1.7 on AIX.

For a schedule to miss, it has to be one of the following reasons:
  1. The CAD/scheduler is not running on the datamover
  2. The previous schedule is still running.
  3. The Spectrum Protect server was down while the scheduler tried and retried to connect to the server.
  4. There was a networking problem preventing the datamover from connecting to the server

I suspect it's either 1 or 2 if you are not seeing errors. 3 or 4 would generate errors.

1 is easy to check.
2 is also easy to check. For example if your VE backup schedule starts at 6PM on June 6, at 6PM on June 7, if the schedule from June 6 is still running, the one from June 7 will not run and show missed. If that's the case, you either need to do some performance tuning to speed up the backup or add more datamovers to spread the workoad to finish quicker.

Back