TSM4VE additional backup requirements help needed

lightness

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hi all,

I'm looking for advice on how to achieve some backup requirements that have been asked of our TSM4VE environment. We currently backup our VM's to a VTL, but I have been asked to also add the functionality of backing up select VM's and templates to tape as another option. I've been looking into this and is it correct to implement an additional data mover node for this request? Can the additional data mover node be assigned to a separate policy domain?? Would anyone have some information on how to achieve this. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Chris

PREDATAR Control23

The backup destination is determined by the management class used. So all you would need is a new management class with a tape storage pool as a destination, then you would tag the VMs you want to go to tape. If tagging is not enabled, you can use the INCLUDE.VM option to specify the tape management class to those specific VMs.

No need for new data movers and new domains unless you want to isolate them for other reasons.

PREDATAR Control23

Thank you for that information. I assume this option would be placed in the dsm.opt file for datacenter node? Would this also take effect if I wanted to simply just do an ad-hoc backup as opposed to nightly schedule??

PREDATAR Control23

Thanks again Marclant for the information. I answered my own question, tested and working properly to the tape management class. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.