• Please help support our sponsors by considering their products and services.
    Our sponsors enable us to serve you with this high-speed Internet connection and fast webservers you are currently using at ADSM.ORG.
    They support this free flow of information and knowledge exchange service at no cost to you.

Please welcome our latest sponsor Tectrade . We can show our appreciation by learning more about Tectrade Solutions
  • Community Tip: Please Give Thanks to Those Sharing Their Knowledge.

If you receive helpful answer on this forum, please show thanks to the poster by clicking "LIKE" link for the answer that you found helpful.

• Community Tip: Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING)

Click the link above to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This notice will disappear after you have made at least 3 posts.

TSM Web GUI Restore on an other client

Udo

ADSM.ORG Member
TSM 5.4.2

Hello,

is it possible to restore files from one node to another one?
Reason:

I have an client who steers one mills machine. If the client hardware is crashing, I want to start the reserve machine, which have another name, and to restore the datas from the defective client to this new one.
Do I have to rename the nodename of the reserve machine to the name of the old one? But then new backups are created on the name of the old machine.

Thanks!

cwilloug

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Yes - only if the two node are the same os/file system, you can not restore windows files to a unix box, or unix to windows.

Production box name A, reserve machine name B, change reserve machine node name to A, and restore, it's that easy.

Udo

ADSM.ORG Member
Thanks,

but the problem is, that the user of this client cannot rename the nodename, it is to complicated for a standard user. And it requires more rights for this user, which I am not willing to give them.

So I hope that there will never be a crash of the machine. So, if it occurs, I have to restore the files.

Thanks!

dms19

ADSM.ORG Member
You don't need to change the computer name, just the "nodename" in the dsm.opt file. To spoof the "A" node while on the "B" node.

cwilloug

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
dms19, I think he does mean the node name, you have to have administrative rights to change node names, or log into another node via the GUI, if you just change the node name in the dsm.opt file, that is the easiest and simplest way of doing this.

Advertise at ADSM.ORG

If you are reading this, so are your potential customer. Advertise at ADSM.ORG right now.

UpCloud high performance VPS at $5/month

Get started with $25 in credits on Cloud Servers. You must use link below to receive the credit. Use the promo to get upto 5 month of FREE Linux VPS.

The Spectrum Protect TLA (Three-Letter Acronym): ISP or something else?

• Every product needs a TLA, Let's call it ISP (IBM Spectrum Protect).

Votes: 17 19.5%
  • Keep using TSM for Spectrum Protect.

Votes: 53 60.9%
  • Let's be formal and just say Spectrum Protect

Votes: 10 11.5%
  • Other (please comement)

Votes: 7 8.0%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chrescht