1. Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING) Click the link to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This message will disappear after you have made at least 12 posts. Thank you for your cooperation.

TSM vs. Backup Exec

Discussion in 'Backup / Archive Discussion' started by bonobos, May 5, 2008.

1. bonobos

bonobos New Member

TSM, VMware, Storage
    Hi,

does anybody know Backup Exec AND TSM? I need some competitive information, and why TSM is "better". I need that for a customer who has Backup Exec, and is asking for advantages with TSM.

Any help is appreciated!
    Regards, bonobos

3. Trudide12

Trudide12 New Member

Backup and storage engineer
    I found this on another forum :

4. paschumacher

paschumacher New Member

Storage Systems Administrator
    I have found that in my experience of past employment that going with BE in a medium shop with 1 or 2 drives and say a few slot library is a great way to go. In each of those environments, we had about 20 servers which were all backed up nightly to the 2 drive library we had.

I also worked in an environment which we used BE to backup about 60 servers and each of those servers had it's own DLT tape drive. Needless to say that was quite cumbersome and administrator intensive. Not to mention it was quite tape cartridge intensive.

Now that I have been turned on to TSM and it's abilities I would highly recommend it for a larger enterprise level environment. If you have more the 50 servers, invest in the hardware to make the job easier on yourself with TSM. My current employer has about 600 servers that backup nightly to an IBM 3584 - 3 frame library with 12 drives. We run TSM on linux and aside from having a few database problems, we have grown quite nicely and are able to take a minimal hands off approach.

It all really depends on your environment.

Hope that helps a bit! Happy backups

5. moon-buddy

moon-buddy Moderator

Electronics Engineer, Security Professional
    Backup Exec is just a backup system. Period.

TSM is a Data Management System offering Disaster Recovery and BCP.

If you are bent of recovering your system with only your backup to lean on, then TSM is for you. If want to take chances, then use another system.

I learned the hard way years ago.