TSM Training

newtotivoli

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi There,

Is learning storage a good options for a TSM Admin? I've decided to learn new technology for better career prospectus.

Please guide me.

Many Thanks..

IMHO,
To be a good storage guy, you need to know Unix, Windows, Databases, Virtualization and whatever OS / infrastructure is used in you place of work.

What do YOU want to do ? Set a goal, and work from there. :)

Thanks for your reply,

Thing is I need to learn a new technology (I've my reasons) , As I've been working on TSM for the last 2 years one of my frnd suggested SAN which is in line with TSM and can boost my career. Just wanted a second opinion.

SAN alone will not boost your career as much if your intention is to be a TSM SME or expert.

As Jean said, the System Admin side of various clients must be understood well by a good TSM person (not just a TSM Admin) in order to find out what the best backup approach is, which files to include/exclude, recovery procedures, etc.

If your intention is just to be a plain TSM Admin, then SAN and TSM will go well hand-in-hand.

Last edited:
SAN - once you get a feel for it - you will quickly learn there is more to it than disk management. And will become 100% of your work day. From Brocade to VTL - from App solutions to TPC. EMC to IBM.
Within your second year of TSM, you are just learning the "ins and outs", and you will also find, in some cases TSM takes out 100% of your day, weekend, holidays as well. You will find TSM has alot to offer as its maturing as well in version 6.
As both technologies are in high demand, and both are in a substantial rate of change as well - to include Cloud technology - I guess it depends how long you've been in "the business", Depending on your tenure you can quickly come to a cross roads.
Knowledge base is good; Hands on experience is better.
Shoot - after 20 yrs in the business - I too to this day - continue to study other skill sets; i.e. CISSP, Program Management(six sigma), Cloud technology; being SME already, allows one to migrate into new environments easily and provide the technicial enhancements. We've all started our careers in one form or another as a system admin but....
Being a CritSit TSM SME as I am, Disaster Recovery or Business Continuity Planning is the way to go, Here SAN/TSM/System Admin skills are bound to a solid foundation.
I just became certified in Butterfly software - as Migration Deployment Professional. Here Butterfly transitions between BUR software to include TSM upgrades. Learning this, adds to my tenure. Provides additional offerings etc...to "the business"
Up is Up - no matter which way you choose to go - and Ive offered a couple of them right here.
Good Luck in your career goals....

Back