TSM switch empty scratch tape to private

Toyens

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hi,

I have au TSM 6.2.3 server and it's connected to a TS3200 library. I'm still using LTO4 tapes but we bought LTO5 tapes last time because we have 2 LTO5 drives in the library. I defined a different device class for each kind of tape. For many weeks already, I often find empty tape in private status and didn't know why. Last week, I was looking in my TSM console when it happened. I have some Storage pool that are using LTO4 tapes and others that are using LTO5 Tapes. The switch happen when a job for a storage pool need a scratch. It search the library and take the first scratch it find. It load it and if it's not the good kind of tape, it switch it to private so it won't look at it anymore. So if a job for a storage pool need that kind of scratch tape, it won't find any scratch and the job will fail.

Anybody know if I can make it work in a different way ? I don't want it to change the status of the tape if it's not the kind it need.

Thank for your help.

PREDATAR Control23

TSM will mark them as private so that it doesn't try to use them again until the problem is fixed as it's a waste of processing time to keep mounting a tape that it knows did not work.

Looks like you have a configuration issue. When using mixed media your device classes and storage pool have to be setup so that only LTO4 tapes are mounted in the LTO4 drives, because LTO4 drives cannot read newer generation tapes.

Check: http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledg...oc/t_devclass_lto_ulw.html#t_devclass_lto_ulw

PREDATAR Control23

Thank for your quick reply.

I checked the link but it's the one I used to do my setting when I got my new LTO5 tapes.

I only have 2 drives in my library and they are LTO5 drives.
I have a LTO4CLASS defined as ULTRIUM4C.
I have a LTO5CLASS defined as ULTRIUM5C.
I have a copy storage pool BAVOUTE linked to the LTO4CLASS.
I have 2 primary storage pool DOMTAPE_LTO5 and ARTAPE_LTO5 linked to the LTO5CLASS.

TSM seem to not know wich tape in my library are in wich device class because it take the first scratch it find and load it and than it can know if it a LTO4 or LTO5. If it's not the one it need, the it switch the status. I would like to find a way to fix that problem.

PREDATAR Control23

At first glance, that sounds right.

What's the error message in the actlog before the tape is changed from scratch to private?

PREDATAR Control23

That's what I get:

2016-03-13-07.58 ANR8877E Volume CTI044L5 is incompatible type with device class LTO4CLASS in library LIBLTO. (SESSION: 12395, PROCESS: 1973)
2016-03-13-07.58 ANR8355E I/O error reading label for volume CTI044L5 in drive DRIVE1LTO5 (mt0.0.0.2). (SESSION: 12395, PROCESS: 1973)
2016-03-13-07.59 ANR8778W Scratch volume CTI044L5 changed to Private Status to prevent re-access. (SESSION: 12395, PROCESS: 1973)

PREDATAR Control23

The reason I use 2 device class is because I want some storage pool to use only LTO5 tapes an others only LTO4 tapes.
I'm still searching but didn't find a solution yet.

PREDATAR Control23

The reason I use 2 device class is because I want some storage pool to use only LTO5 tapes an others only LTO4 tapes.
I'm still searching but didn't find a solution yet.

Hi, I think I'm trying to do the exact same thing here. Have 2 devclasses 1 for ULTRIUM6C and 1 for ULTRIUM7C.
I get the same error as above. Where the LTO7 Tapes get marked as Private.
Also I do not want the storagepool for LTO6 to use the LTO7 tapes...

Did you straight this one out on your side?

PREDATAR Control23

Hi,
Unfortunately, I didn't find solution for that. I finaly decided to modify/recreate my storage pool to only use the LTO5 tape.

PREDATAR Control23

Mount limit how many you gave to each DEVC
can you share that also

PREDATAR Control23

Hi, I think I'm trying to do the exact same thing here. Have 2 devclasses 1 for ULTRIUM6C and 1 for ULTRIUM7C.
I get the same error as above. Where the LTO7 Tapes get marked as Private.
Also I do not want the storagepool for LTO6 to use the LTO7 tapes...

Did you straight this one out on your side?

The only way to do that is to have 2 separate libraries (one for LTO6 drive, one for LTO7 drive)