TSM STA and MAXNUMMP

Bancal

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hello,

I have got an Exchange server which is also a TSM STA. Everything works pretty good, but I want to increase the number of backup sessions that run simultaneously. I tried to increase MAXNUMMP on the server side by issuing "update node" on my tsm server, but it has no effect whatsoever. Next I checked STA options file on the client and there is no parameter which explicitly controls such behaviour. Which config files on the client should I check?

I'm not familiar with backing up Exchange, but is the storage pool collocated?

Is there anything else in the TSM Exchange client options for using multiple sessions? Reason I ask is that Oracle (via RMAN channel allocation), and MS SQL (via the /stripes parameter in the command line) are settings that also control number of sessions. Even if the TSM server allows more, the client side can cause it to use a lesser value if it has one set (or if default to less).

Hello,

I have got an Exchange server which is also a TSM STA. Everything works pretty good, but I want to increase the number of backup sessions that run simultaneously. I tried to increase MAXNUMMP on the server side by issuing "update node" on my tsm server, but it has no effect whatsoever. Next I checked STA options file on the client and there is no parameter which explicitly controls such behaviour. Which config files on the client should I check?

By default, Exchange backs up sequentially if you specify the backup of all mailstores via the * operator. If you create multiple backup command for each mailtstore, you can have parallel backups for all of the mailstores.

Thank you, buddy.
I figured out this on my own after emerging into TDP for Exchange Admin Guide. Now I've got 4 storage groups named SG1 thru SG4 so if Iэв script something like on the client side
tdpexcc backup SG1 full /tsmoptfile=dsm.opt /logfile=tdpe.log>>tdmp.log
tdpexcc backup SG2 full /tsmoptfile=dsm.opt /logfile=tdpe.log>>tdmp.log
tdpexcc backup SG3 full /tsmoptfile=dsm.opt /logfile=tdpe.log>>tdmp.log
tdpexcc backup SG4 full /tsmoptfile=dsm.opt /logfile=tdpe.log>>tdmp.log

I'll get 4 backup sessions running simultaneously?

Thank you, buddy.
I figured out this on my own after emerging into TDP for Exchange Admin Guide. Now I've got 4 storage groups named SG1 thru SG4 so if Iэв script something like on the client side
tdpexcc backup SG1 full /tsmoptfile=dsm.opt /logfile=tdpe.log>>tdmp.log
tdpexcc backup SG2 full /tsmoptfile=dsm.opt /logfile=tdpe.log>>tdmp.log
tdpexcc backup SG3 full /tsmoptfile=dsm.opt /logfile=tdpe.log>>tdmp.log
tdpexcc backup SG4 full /tsmoptfile=dsm.opt /logfile=tdpe.log>>tdmp.log

I'll get 4 backup sessions running simultaneously?

Not quite. DOS works rather in a weird way. You have to put the tdpexec commands into a DOS batch or CMD file. Something like this:

Batch or CMD name: mail_backup.bat or mail_backup.cmd; and the content:

@echo off

start cmd /c "tdpexcc backup SG1 full /tsmoptfile=dsm.opt /logfile=tdpe1.log>>tdmp1.log"
start cmd /c "tdpexcc backup SG2 full /tsmoptfile=dsm.opt /logfile=tdpe2.log>>tdmp2.log"
start cmd /c "tdpexcc backup SG3 full /tsmoptfile=dsm.opt /logfile=tdpe3.log>>tdmp3.log"
start cmd /c "tdpexcc backup SG4 full /tsmoptfile=dsm.opt /logfile=tdpe4.log>>tdmp4.log"

This batch or CMD file must be run in the directory where TDPEXEC 'lives'. The scheduler has to be modified to run a command calling this file at the right location.

This runs the backup in parallel.

This is one way and there can be other ways of doing this like individual schedules. I prefer to use this method.

Quite sophisticated piece of code. I figured out about start as equivalent of & in Unix shell, but missed cmd. Finally, my script failed altogather. I should try your version thank you.

Back