TSM server recovery on the other TSM server

tzong

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Can i restore one TSM server to the second TSM server without destroying the second TSM database?

thanks

Not that I am aware of.

If you restore the TSM database from System A to System B.

The TSM data base on System B will be over written with the database from system A.

Sias

You can install a second instance of tsm server on one machine.

Maybe this will solve your problem.

Bye

R.

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>Not that I am aware of.

If you restore the TSM database from System A to System B.

The TSM data base on System B will be over written with the database from system A.

Sias</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

What if you use a different set of filesystems to restore your DB to? Example:

ServerA uses /dblogx for it's db/logs

ServerB uses /adsmdbx for it's db/logs

Anyone know if that will work? Then just change the dsmserv.opt, volhist.out, devconfig.out, etc....

I have done this several times at our DR site. In production, I have 3 seperate TSM servers but at DR, I run all 3 on the same hardware. There is a section of the admin guide on how to run multiple servers on the same hardware.

Basicly, setup seperate filesystems. Create/Copy/etc a dsmserv.opt with the DB/Log files. Veryify that the new dsmserv.opt is using different ports then the primary server (1600 instead of 1500 and 1680 instead of 1580) Link the dsmserv binary. You may need to copy the license files as well.

Once you do this, some things that you take for granted my not work. (i.e. Auto Upgrade of the DB when TSM version gets upgraded)

Thanks, waht you said makes sense. I odn't think we can install different TSM versions, such as TSM4.2 and TSM5.1, on the same server. :lol:

You are correct, you cannot run different versions of TSM on the same hardware (in my experence anyway). This is why I try to keep ALL my servers on the exact same level (makes it easier to support in general too)

-Aaron

Back