TSM Operations Reporting / communication problem to the TSM backup server

[email protected]

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I use one dedicated server with TSM Operations Reporting 5.5.4.0 installed (and nothing else) to generate daily reports from two different TSM Servers. Now, since yesterday one of them cannot generate reports anymore. If I check TSM Management Console under Servername - Reports - Operational Reports - Daily Report X, I get

Session established with server WIN-TSM01: Windows
Server Version 6, Release 2, Level 1.0
Server date/time: 07/14/2010 08:05:27 Last access: 07/14/2010 08:00:26

ANS8000I Server command: 'select count(*) as SCNE from events where LENGTH(domain_name) IS NOT NULL and scheduled_start between '2010-07-13 08:05:26' and '2010-07-14 08:05:25' and status='Completed' and result=0 and node_name like 'LERNIA-%''
ANS1017E Session rejected: TCP/IP connection failure
ANS8001I Return code -50.
ANS8064E Communication timeout. Reissue the command.

Nothing has been changed communication wise on either of the servers. The only thing I did on the day it last worked was to delete one node and add two new. I don't know how TSM OR communicates, but it is in the same subnet as the "backup TSM server" with all ports open.

Did the password of the account the reports run under expire? Have you checked simple network connectivity to the TSM server?

Did the password of the account the reports run under expire? Have you checked simple network connectivity to the TSM server?

If you refer to the account under Server name - Properties, no it has not expired. I use it to log in to the TSM server CLI.

Don't think it's a connectivity issue either, I can telnet to the TSM server from the OR server. Port 1500 is specified in the settings, and I can telnet to it.

Has the communications timeout on the affected TSM instance been altered? Its possible the query is taking too long and the session its using is being borked...

Has the communications timeout on the affected TSM instance been altered? Its possible the query is taking too long and the session its using is being borked...

No, I have not changed any settings on the TSM server for a week. By that time I raised the maxsessions value on the server, from 50 to 55.

Do you refer to the IDLETIMEOUT value? It' 45. COMTIMEOUT is 60. Has been like that for several months.

And besides, during daytime when there is no active backup, I still cannot right click and generate report. So it shouldn't be a session problem.

Last edited:
If you refer to the account under Server name - Properties, no it has not expired. I use it to log in to the TSM server CLI.

Don't think it's a connectivity issue either, I can telnet to the TSM server from the OR server. Port 1500 is specified in the settings, and I can telnet to it.

Do you have the client installed on the OR server? If you start it can you authenticate and reach the TSM server to run a simple query?

Back