TSM not reading the barcode during checkin and Audit

nikhil_1707

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi Team,,
TSM is not reading the barcode when we are checkin the tapes or do audit library.

We opened the call with IBM hardware and they found no issues in barcode in library IBM TS3500 and tapes are of JC category

Has anyone got message like this in actlog that unable to read barcode and sending tapes to drive to check the label.

Regards,

Nikhil

Can you show us the exact error messages you see in the activity log, including a few above and below as them may be related?

ANR8787W Unable to read the barcode label(s) in library 500-J4. (SESSION: 1644783, PROCESS: 378)

ANR8788W Unable to read the barcode of cartridge in slot-id 770 in library 3500-J4; loading in drive to read label

ANR8787W Unable to read the barcode label(s) in library 500-J4. (SESSION: 1644783, PROCESS: 378)

ANR8788W Unable to read the barcode of cartridge in slot-id 770 in library 3500-J4; loading in drive to read label

Is this a recent incident? What changed?

Is there other ANR errors or warnings above or below that relating to tape operations?

Is it just with a few tapes or all tapes?

This is the new setup with new TSM installation and new library.We also raised call with IBM hardware and they found no issue

All tapes suggest the problem is not with the tapes. The library has the barcode reader, not TSM, so the actual reading is done by the library.

Are there other ANR errors or warnings in the activity log above or below relating to tape operations? Sometimes, there are additional errors that contain Sense data which can help identify the problem. That's why earlier I asked to include a few messages above and below the warnings you showed us.

Also make sure that the library you are using is supported with your version of TSM and that you have the correct driver. You can look this up here:
http://www-01.ibm.com/software/sysm...BM_TSM_Supported_Devices_for_AIXHPSUNWIN.html

All tapes suggest the problem is not with the tapes. The library has the barcode reader, not TSM, so the actual reading is done by the library.

Are there other ANR errors or warnings in the activity log above or below relating to tape operations? Sometimes, there are additional errors that contain Sense data which can help identify the problem. That's why earlier I asked to include a few messages above and below the warnings you showed us.

Also make sure that the library you are using is supported with your version of TSM and that you have the correct driver. You can look this up here:
http://www-01.ibm.com/software/sysm...BM_TSM_Supported_Devices_for_AIXHPSUNWIN.html

There are no sense error like such only I see that the actlogs tell that unable to read the barcode and sending tape into drive to read the label

There are no sense error like such only I see that the actlogs tell that unable to read the barcode and sending tape into drive to read the label

Maybe a stupid question - is the barcode TSM compliant? 3 of 9 barcode? right orientation - meaning is the barcode reader reading it correctly?

If I remember correctly, the 3584 (TS3500) reads the barcode right to left looking from behind the library, or left to right looking from the from of the library.

Last edited:
These things were checked by IBM hardware team and no issues found.

Back