TSM Licensing - Automated Tracking

ja954

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
www.partners.org
Hi All,
Was wondering how everyone keeps track of their TSM Licensing.
We run a manual process but was thinking it would run via a script much better.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JoeA

You can't have a script to capture licenses effectively. The most effective way is tracking it manually because of the complexity around the PVU.

Hi,

there is no automated way - remember that in TSM one physical machine can host multiple TSM nodes (different retentions requirement etc.) and multiple machines can store data in single node (using proxynode) - so it is rather impossible to count it automatically.

Harry

If you have lots of servers with less than say 20 Gb on each, it may be easier to pay by byte instead. Ask your IBM rep for details. In our case, we have about 1200 nodes with servers, SQL, Oracle and Exchange data.

If you have lots of servers with less than say 20 Gb on each, it may be easier to pay by byte instead. Ask your IBM rep for details. In our case, we have about 1200 nodes with servers, SQL, Oracle and Exchange data.

This is something new! I don't think such a cost model exist in North America. Are you just asking IBM to do your backup and not running the TSM environment yourself?

If IBM does the service for you, then this maybe correct. Other than that, as I have said, I am not aware of such cost model.

If IBM does the service for you, then this maybe correct. Other than that, as I have said, I am not aware of such cost model.

This is in Norway. We operate all TSM servers our selvs, IBM is only involved in terms of support and licensing.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
I had a bad feeling that manual was the only way. This PVU stuff is just driving me crazy.

We can't do the "per byte" setup. 4.2 Petabytes would run our current cost model through the roof.

The only way I've come up with is a combination script that uses Microsoft SCOM (SMS) for the number of CPU cores and then TSM for the node names. There is a free utility that IBM has out there for tracking licenses but it's Windows only and requires an agent to be installed. Since we have over 1700 nodes and numerous operating systems I guess the only way for me to go is what I'm doing now. Thanks again.

JoeA

Back