TSM initialization/erase

Josep

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Is there any way to complete remove backup data from TSM 6 easy and quickly?

I have two stgpools (sequential access type, primary, over disk) and I need to complete erase old backups in one stgpool (disk) every week to start collecting a new backups. I worked with backup retention policies without success, maybe due only one disk (stgpool) is connected every week (the other one is disconnected for offsite and offline).

Now I'm deleting backups manually listing vol names with an script and then modify the output file to get a new script to launch a "delete volume volume_name discard=yes" for each volume. But is tedious.

Sounds like you are overcomplicating things. The retention can work, but keep in mind that you can't expire the last backup because it's active. However, it could work with the number of versions. So if you go with 2 versions, anytime you backup a 3rd version, the oldest one will be removed.

There's no easy way to delete the data because Spectrum Protect was not designed to be micro-managed like that, it was designed to automatically manage the inventory using policies.

Ideally, you should use one primary pool and one copy pool. The primary stays on site all the time, the copy sent offsite. You'd need more storage, but the extra cost will be saved in time.

Back