TSM incremental causing full backup

DusktilDawn

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Interesting one here where running dsmc incr C:\aaa\backupdir\ D:\bbb\more\ -optfile=test.opt is causing a full backup each time and not an incremental. The opt file just has excludes of what not to be backed up. Is there something missing from the command? Maybe su=yes? I will greatly appreciate any help here.

Hi,

Well, as you probably already know, there is no full backup with TSM. You can do an incremental or a selective. The selective will backup all the files regardless if they had been previously backed up, while the incremental will only backup files that have changed.

So, I think that what you might be seeing is that either the files have changed, or the backup was cancelled and not all files have been backed up. The other thing to keep in mind is that even if you exclude a large number of files, the full directory structure will be backed up.

A trace might help you better understand if the files were never backed up or if they changed. Here's a technote that will help you with the tracing and help you determine what is actually happening: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21320696

Marc...

Thanks guys for the help in this. Yes, incrementals are not full and should only backup what is changed. Well, I requested the the TSM services to be recycled and the incr backup finally worked. Apparently, it was not recycled after changes were made. Thanks, guys! I also queries the filespaces and no dups.

Back