TSM History Collection: Control Schedules

wernercd

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
TL;DR: How can I kick off a manual collection or control when scheduled collections occur?

I've been circling TSMMonitoring and getting closer to where I want to be. One issue I have is the timing of the pings against the server.

I've got a Powershell Script that tunes all the collections, and starts them...

#Specifies the collection interval. The acceptable inputs are 1m (1 minute), 5m, 15m, 30m, 1h (1 hour), or 1d (1 day). The default value is 15m (15 minutes).
$collectioninterval = "1d"
#Specifies the warehouse interval. The acceptable inputs are 15m (15 minutes), 30m, 1h (1 hour), 12h, 1d (1 day), or off. The default value is 1d (1 day).
$warehouseinterval = "1d"
#The valid characters for summarization are YQMWDH.
$summarizationdetails = "DWMY"​

Collection Interval (Pulled from the official documents) is done every... minute, 5 minutes, 15, 30, Hour... or day.

I have 2 issues: It collects Hourly or Daily with no in-between... and when does it run if I choose daily? 6am? 12(noon)? 10pm? depends on when it was started?

Our servers are somewhat stressed, and having stuff fire off hourly or all day is too much... and I'd rather not have it fire at an inopportune time (say, 1am when the bulk of our backups are running). I'd like to control the time it runs, and no necessarily have it run at set intervals. Say, 7pm before the backups start and 10am after the backups have finished - not 12 hours per-se. Or just control the run time at 7pm for my daily does of information.

Currently, I just can't find out when stuff is set to fire off and if it's controllable...

Normally, daily collection kicks in at the time you have created it unless explicitly defined.

And how do you "explicitly define" it? Either I'm blind or I'm looking past it...

Is there a way to explicitly run a collection outside of the built in scheduler?

Back