1. Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING) Click the link to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This message will disappear after you have made at least 12 posts. Thank you for your cooperation.

TSM for VE Deployment

Discussion in 'TSM Installation, Upgrade and Configuration' started by mantis9413, Oct 10, 2012.

1. mantis9413

mantis9413 New Member

Oct 10, 2012
    Hi All,

I've been working with TSM for nearly 2 years now and have a fairly good knowledge of how it works. I am now in-charge of implementing TSM for VE to replace our current virtual backup software vRanger.
    I'm currently planning to deploy TSM for VE at work but there is too much detail I currently don't understand but I will need to cover in my testing and deployment plan.
    I would like a possible opinion on how I could architect TSM to include TSM for VE

The current configuration for my company is detailed below

2 x IBM TS3500 tape libraries (1 onsite, 1 offsite)
    6 x production TSM Servers using TSM 6.3.1 (1 library manager, 1 configuration manager, 4 secondary TSM servers). The library manager does not backup any data, only controls the library, the other 5 do the data backup
    95+% of servers are virtual, there is about 1700 servers
    Approx 65% of servers are already being backed up by TSM BA client or TSM BAC with TDP modules.
    We don't have a VTL and probably won't look into it until a couple of years time.
    We would prefer a virtual system for TSM for VE but will consider physical if the performance outways the cost.

I understand that the TSM vStorage Backup Server (TSM Data Mover) and the DP for VMware vCenter plugin server can co-exist on the same server.
    Considering the size of the environment, there will be around 4-6 vStorage servers to cater for the entire environment. I have read over the main parts of the IBM TSM for VE deployment guide.
    I would like to know if I will need to present a fair amount of storage (5TB-10TB give or take) to each vStorage Backup Server so it can store the backup VM's before sending them to a TSM Server to go to tape?
    How would I go about architecting TSM for VE into an already complex system of TSM?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks all