TSM for Sharepoint

bostonlean

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

All,
I have been bequethed this lovely product recently from another support group and have had a very painful time making it do what it is supposed to, reliably. I thought I would share some of my experiences because trolling the net for answers reaped very little - these are all based on PMR's i had to open with IBm who then opens a case with Avepoint

- when upgrading to Docave 5.6.0.0 scheduled job monitor doesn't display jobs and an empty dialog box appears as well as the pie chart for errors on the dashboard going missing - this is a patch that is needed from Avepoint, there is no APAR I am aware of
- jobs complete with an exception, a perusal of the job logs shows Error message: Please help to check if there's any lists with illegl characters in its name under teh web - this is related to a patch that IBM must provide to you for IC77072. Save yourself the headache and upload the job report log and gather the logs from the docave app when submitting your PMR
- Docave shows 2 farms - 1 in upper case, 1 in lower case - this is usually the result of a sharepoint admin changing something on their side, the only fix I have seen work is to go to every agent and edit the VCEnv.cfg files to change the farm name to the default, which is all capitalized. Restart the services. This will make any data backed up previously under the lower-case name unavailable as the docave app won't be able to find it on the TSM server (the tsm server saves it as upper-case)
- having issues talking to some agents or agents not reporting in - depending on the where the agent is sitting (sql server, web front end, etc) make sure all the necessary permissions are granted (dbowner, etc) this can really be a pain
- can you use multiple Ip's on the same WFE to segragate sites and will the agent see both - yes, it does work and you don't have to do anything to agent for this to work. All the agent cares about on the WFE is the server name it sits on and name of the control service. Make sure all the necessary ports are open!
- agent install says port or ssl name is not open or working/agent can't talk to control service but account to run the agent talks fine - not only do you need the control service port open, but the control service needs to talk to the agent as well.
- if you create new plans (which you sometimes have to do to fix problems) - even if you select an incremental, every time a plan runs for the first time, it is a full. It's the equivelent of a new node in TSM
- backups taking a long time - i actually seperate my backups by site, it is much easier and I don't have everything stacking on top of each other, my smaller sites finish when they should, and the larger ones can take the time they require.

hope this helps someone, I will add to this as new pitfalls emerge