TSM for SAN

Dierckx

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am quite new to this forum and I have a question concerning the licensing of TSM for SAN. Hope you can help me.

I have to figure out how many licenses my firm should have at this moment for TSM for SAN but I'm actually not really confident with a way how I could detect is TSM for SAN is used for a specific server. Do you guys know how I could detect this rapidly?

Thanks and Regards,

Dierckx

Hi,

there is no simple way as TSM is licensed using value units per core (and each core type has its own Value Unit rating ...).
TSM for SAN means usage of Storage Agents. Storage Agents are defined to TSM server as "SERVER" - so issue "q server" command, deduct all "full" TSM servers and then count all the remaining servers, find out their CPU/core number and convert it to Value Units using following table:
http://www-01.ibm.com/software/lotus/passportadvantage/pvu_licensing_for_customers.html

Not exactly what you wanted but I do not know of any better way.

Harry

Hi,

I'm also new to this forum and signed up for the exact question below.

Harry, what do you mean by deducting the "full" servers?

I query'd the server command, but I find that the results do not matchup with my records.

Thanks,

Hi,

"q server" commands shows you all servers - storage agents and full TSM servers together. By full TSM server I mean the database TSM server (the one holding the data) - storage agents are just stripped down TSM servers without their DBs (so they rely on parent TSM servers for authentication etc.)

Harry

Hi,

I'm new here as well and would like to know TSM. :rolleyes:

Do you mean the TSM managing server is full TSM server and doesn't need TSM for SAN license? TSM managing server needs also TSM for SAN license as I know. :confused:

'query server' command is quite interesting. Does it show TSM for SAN agents including TSM managing server? please, make me clarify.

Thank you!

Hi,

why would full TSM server need TSM for SAN? It can connect to SAN libraries on its own and it is impossible (well ... ok, do not complicate things - IMPOSSIBLE :) ) to install storage agent on the same machine as TSM server.
Q SERVER shows all TSM servers - storage agents and full (managing, data keeping, with TSM db ... as you like it) TSM servers. (Provided they are all defined - and when they are not then they are not working ....)

Harry

Back