TSM Errors Relating to Log Drives Being Full?

Emily

Newcomer
Reaction score
Here are the specs for the IBM TSM I'm running:
Tivoli V.6, Release 3
STORServer 4.5.3.11
Spectra BlueScale 12.6.27

Recently, when logging onto the local server I have tried to log into STORServer Manager and receive the following errors (copied from event viewer)
Cannot start the scheduler for 'STORSERVER' TsmException, Logon failure --- TSM Error Message Block --- ANS1017E Session rejected: TCP/IP connection failure ANS8023E Unable to establish session with server. ANS8002I Highest return code was -50. --- End TSM Error Message Block --- ProcessExitedException,

I have verified that there are no firewalls between the TSM and other servers. No other processes or machines are using port 1500, it is reserved for TSM. Ping command has passed. Ran wireshark to capture the packets and TSM is receiving calls from the file server, but it keeps resetting the connection. With that finding I decided to look at the drive space. I am showing that the Active Log drive and Archive Log drive are almost completely full.

I have manually started the TSM server service and moments later it disconnects. From what I was reading online, that when the archive and active log directories are full TSM server shuts down: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21668753

The last thing tried was increasing the size in the dsmerv.opt file to 165000 and restarted the server. The archive and active drives didn't show any different in size on the server and there were no error message. TSM booted up after that. However, when I checked this morning..I am back to square one.

Is there a way to truncate the log files to free up some space on these two drives?
Any suggestion would be helpful!

Yes, you can purge them, you will have to do a DB backup directly from DB2:
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21668753

A few things to consider to avoid this problem in the future:
- active log must be on a dedicated filesystem
- archive log must be on a dedicated filesystem
- the size you increased in dsmserv.opt is just telling the maximum size TSM can use, but that only works if that space exists on the filesystem

Thank you for your response! I will administer the steps provided in the IBM link and see what happens :p

Back