TSM DR testing

nabildz

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi

I would like some guidelines, procedures to recover from a disaster in a TSM environement , do we need to test a restore for each tsm client we have??

or test just recovery of main TSM server !!

Please advise

You need to ensure that you can recover your TSM server of course. Best method is with DRM, if you have purchased TSM Extended Edition.

Beyond that, the clients that you will need to test are the decision of management, with input from you and others.

GregE is right with DRM this is the best method. The doc Oxygn3n is perfert.. i use it when we did our first DR. I would add that you should restore some of you critical machine with the help of your admins.
Try to be close to reality. Restore from your offsite pool this will give you a good idea if your TSM setup need tunning.

The last DR we did, about 2 weeks ago.. we discover some performance restore issues with our offline pool with some machine.. So we are changing backup method for some system and we are looking maybe to implement active datapool to see if we can get better result.

If I may add:

Client data restore depends on the BCP and DR requirements. Management sets forth goals for RPO and RTO which reflects how critical one environment is versus others.

One of the problems with DR is that things change all the time (servers come and go, LUN setups change, TSM operations get tweaked...) - but you can't test your DR plan every day.

That's the rationale for our Restore-testing product, ART. It usually makes storage auditors happy when they ask "how do you validate your backup environment?"

Also, we're coming out shortly with a whitepaper detailing specific reasons why recovery might fail even when all the backups say "success!".

More at www.************/art.

Back