Tsm dr plan

aixlogician

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hello All,
I was doing a pre DR and after few hurdles, I was able to successfully restore my DB and data on TSM. But, I am not sure if that is the right approach, any inputs are highly appreciated. Below is how I did the DR

1. Defined the LPAR, and attached it to TS3200 tape library
2. Installed AIX OS using CD/DVD (customized the mksysb as per our TSM server and took the backup on DVD). (created file systems using restvg).
3. Installed tsm using "6.3.4.200-TIV-TSMALL-AIX.bin", (./6.3.4.200-TIV-TSMALL-AIX.bin, it expanded and then I used "./install.bin")
4. After the completion, I went to "/opt/tivoli/tsm/server/bin" and ran "./dsmicfgx", configured the db2 instance and DB.
5. Entered the tsm server using "dsmadmc"
6. Configured Library, drives and devclass and check 'in the DB backup tape.
7. Ran halt command
8. Imported my devconf.dat and volhist.dat files to instance home directory and modified them accordingly ( removed all the library and drives info from devconf file).
9. ran "dsmserv restore db"
10. The DB restored successfully ( I tried using my own DB directory and logs by adding different flags for each and also I used savevg and restvg commands to restore file systems) In both cases I was able to restore DB successfully.
11. I logged in and deleted the vols from tape pool "upd vol <volname> acc=destroyed wherestg=tapepool"
12. Inserted copy tapes.

I was told, I must run "db2 drop db tsmdb1" after I completed (./dsmicfgx) process. I did and I cannot run "dsmadmc" after that.
I was told to do so as the existing tsmdb1 will be used between those two DB and we have to get rid of 1st one.

Should I use the existing TSM server OS image for DR? I tried this and I cannot drop the DB as it is on a different VG.

Help me out with the correct DR procedure.

Thanks,

PREDATAR Control23

If I were to do this, I would create a MKSYS B of the PROD TSM server to have an exact replica.

At the DR site, I would restore the TSM server from the MKSYS B and then restore the TSM DB. However, before restoring, I would clean the DB2 by running "dsmserv removedb TSMDB1" using the instance owner account.

Then I would proceed restoring the DB, and proceed to bring up the TSM server using steps 7 to 12.

I would not run "db2 drop db tsmdb1".

Last edited:
PREDATAR Control23

Thanks Moon-buddy,
Ok, so even if I use my PROD-TSM mksysb to restore tsm server, I still need to install tsm binaries and run ./dsmicfgx correct?

1. Install OS using prod-tsm mksysb
2. run "dsmserv removedb tsmdb1"
3. install tsm (./install.bin)
4. install db2 instance (using dsmicfgx)
and follow my steps mentioned in the previous email.

If I am to run removedb command 1st and NOT to run "install.bin" and/or "dsmicfgx", then how can I configure my library and drives and how can I check in the DB tape?

PREDATAR Control23

Thanks Moon-buddy,
Ok, so even if I use my PROD-TSM mksysb to restore tsm server, I still need to install tsm binaries and run ./dsmicfgx correct?

1. Install OS using prod-tsm mksysb
2. run "dsmserv removedb tsmdb1"
3. install tsm (./install.bin)
4. install db2 instance (using dsmicfgx)
and follow my steps mentioned in the previous email.

If I am to run removedb command 1st and NOT to run "install.bin" and/or "dsmicfgx", then how can I configure my library and drives and how can I check in the DB tape?

You technically don't need to run steps 3 and 4 IF your MKSYS B has captured all of the information of the PROD TSM server; and that the hardware is identical (note, it must be identical). Restoring using a complete MYSYS B DVD or tape should bring up your TSM server without any issues.

If this is not the case (no TSM binaries on the MKSYS B), then you have to re-install TSM.

Last edited:
PREDATAR Control23

Let me explain my scenario,
my rootvg is only 35 gigs, so the tsm db directory is on other vg, rootvg just contain the binaries of tsm.

I am not aware of hardware (pXXX and also what library the vendor is providing us during DR), I bet you it will not be same as we have for prod system. So, in that case using my actual mksysb will be of any help? anyhow I have to atleast do (./dsmicfgx) after removing my db (dsmserv removedb tsmdb1).

PREDATAR Control23

Let me explain my scenario,
my rootvg is only 35 gigs, so the tsm db directory is on other vg, rootvg just contain the binaries of tsm.

I am not aware of hardware (pXXX and also what library the vendor is providing us during DR), I bet you it will not be same as we have for prod system. So, in that case using my actual mksysb will be of any help? anyhow I have to atleast do (./dsmicfgx) after removing my db (dsmserv removedb tsmdb1).

If this is the case, then your procedure is correct.

PREDATAR Control23

Thanks Moon-buddy,
Which procedure the one I mentioned in the 1st place?
Also, i think the procedure is universal, no dependencies on hardware or file systems etc..,

PREDATAR Control23

Hi,

At the DR, do you need DR TSM to have the same hostname and IP address of the the Production TSM?
No. However, if you can, it makes it easier for clients because you don't need to reconfigure the TSM Clients. However, in a true DR, if your data center goes down, you likely loose both the clients and the server, so they are all rebuilt anyway.

What some customers do, is create a DNS alias for the TSM Server, example, TSM1 for the first server. When configuring the clients, they use the DNS alias in as the TCPServeraddress, so when moving to DR, they only need to update the DNS record with the new IP and all the clients are happy.

PREDATAR Control23

Hi Marclant.

Thanks for the insight.

To put the question in another way. What if my TSM Server at DR site is named differently from the TSM Server at production site, will the TSM instance run after I restored the TSM DB at DR?

Thanks.

Eibbob