TSM DR Detail Documentation

Rahees

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
PREDATAR Control23

We are new to TSM and i am just wondering how can i re cover my TSM DB server if hardware fails & we have to rebuilt new server .

We do get a DB backup copy every day But what steps i need to recover The TSM DB server.

Specially In DR case could be a different tape drive what we use now Same drive like LTO-2 but instead of IBM could be HP LTO-2

Any infomatin / Link / Documentation / Tip will be help full.

Thanks in advance.

PREDATAR Control23

Check http://ibm.com/redbooks and there's one titled "Disaster Recovery Strategies with Tivoli Storage Management"

Basically the easiest way to do it is use the TSM DRM (Disaster Recovery Manager).

It will prepare a DR PLAN (Plain Text) file with the location of your tapes and config for your server. So in the event of a Disaster you just need a server with TSM Server installed and there are documented steps to recover with that text file.

DRM will also manage offsiting of you tapes and keep track of their location so in the event of a disaster TSM will tell you what tapes you'll need and it'll tell you where they are.

PREDATAR Control23

DRM is for someone else that is going to perform the restore of the TSM Server other than the TSM Admin.

As log as we perform the following daily:

1. backup db

2. backup volhist, dev config and dsmserv.opt

We should be able to restore the TSM Server.

If we need to recreat the TSM Server.

Of course the TSM Server code must be installed.

Redefine the dbvolumes and log volumes slightly larger than the original.

Redefine the datavolume, can be smaller or larger than the original.

Check the volhist file to see what volume contains the database.

Reuse the devconfig file or manually recreate the devconfig file.

Then restore the database.

Free registration.

You'll find manuals, downloads, solutions, flash alerts, APAR's, white papers.....

Too much to list!

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBMTivoliStorageManager.html

Good Luck,

Sias

PREDATAR Control23

Not a TSM pro, but make sure you have a copy of these files handy:

dsmserv.dsk

dsmserv.opt

devcnfg.out

volhist.out