TSM DBBACKUPs are being created NON-STOP

sylviomartel

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi, I am new. Running TSM Server 6.2.2.2 on a Windows 2003 R2 x64. I have been operating TSM for about 3 years but I am not a TSM guru. I know very little tsm cli commands.
For the third time I am having this problem. We use DRM.
The TSM server is creating DBBACKUPs non stop until there is no more scratch tapes to use.
As far as I can tell, all 3 times the problem started after I added a volume to the DISK POOL.
Apparently after that, I guess, the server, for some reason, does not receive the successfull completion status of the DBBACKUP and just initiate another and so on.
Yesterday I changed the RAID volume that holds the DISK POOL from 1 TB to 1.6 TB roughly, and went from 800 GB DISK POOL to 1.4 TB.
So the DISK POOL is now 1.4 TB made of 7 x 200 GB volumes, and there is 273 GB unused on the hard drive.
Since that the server is making DBBACKUP all the time.
Can someone please help me understand why TSM is behaving like that, where to look for clues, and how to fix that.
Thank you. Sylvio Martel.

Hi tsmuser10, I have been searching since this morning when I created the post.
The activelog is close to zero. Apparently it is the threshold of the archive log that triggers dbbackup non-stop.
I have found that in my installation the archive log has been placed on the same volume as the disk pool.
This is why everytime I touched the disk pool to add volumes I put myself in trouble.
Apparently when the total used space on the drive where the archive log is reaches 80%, a dbbackup is triggered.
Because the drive contains the disk pool volume and the archive log, it was filled at 83% after I made changes on my RAID partition yesterday,
and TSM was triggering dbbackup all the time even if the active log was empty.
Now I am searching an easy way for me to move only the archive log somewhere else.
I tried to change the method that consists in changing the ARCHLOGDirectory variable in the DSMSERV.opt but after that the server refuses to start.
There has to be something I forget.
Can you help ?
Thank you.

That sounds messy, is this tsm server version 6 ? your DB and archlogs are defined in the db cfg, so you need to change that.
I would try to move the disk pools out instaed of messing with the DB.

Path to log files = /tsmA/log/NODE0000/
Overflow log path (OVERFLOWLOGPATH) = /tsmA/archlog/RstDbLog/NODE0000/

Back