TSM DB Restore

jamesmacd40

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hi all

I have a question about a DB Restore i need to do. it has been years since i performed this and have a general understanding of what i need to do

basically i am backing up the DB, reconfiguring the disk that the DB and Logs are on (running out of dbspace, disk was configured mirrored, going to change it to raid-5 - no available storage to extend DB..)

so steps are as i remember and from searching the forums
TSM 7.1.7 on windows
  • Record the DB and activelog/archive/failover archive directory names/files
  • Issue q dbspace f=d and record the output, issue q db f=d and record the output, issue q log f=d and record the output
  • Cancel all processes and sessions – issue "disable sess all" to keep any new sessions from starting
  • Perform a full database backup to a file device class – backupdb type=full devc=filedevc
  • Once DB backup is complete – issue backup volhist – take note of the volhistory file location
  • Issue backup devconfig – take note of the devconfig file location
  • Once complete – issue HALT
  • Open the dsmserv.opt file and remove the * or # from the lines at the bottom that say NOMIGRRECL EXPINTERVAL 0 and DISABLESCHEDS YES
  • Make a copy of the volhist, devconfig, dsmserv.opt and store somewhere where it can be retrieved if necessary
  • Remove the database instance – dsmserv remove db (any other parameter needed here?)
  • Perform the reconfiguration of the drives that the DB and Actlog was on
  • Once reconfigured, recreate the directories for the DB and active logs
  • Create a file that lists out the location of the DB directory/ actlog /?
  • Issue DSMSERV RESTORE DB on =dbdirs.txt
These are the steps in bold i am fuzzy on. Only the DB and Active Log are affected by the disk change configuration.
the archive log and failover archive log are not being touched, so i am not sure if my dbdirs.txt needs the existing directories listed in there too.

Thanks