TSM DB dump & load/audit question

bhaven41

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Looks like I have some issues with the TSM DB. The expiration is failing for last few days. And TSM DB is growing unexpectedly because of this.
TSM Server version is 5.5.4.3 running on AIX 6.1 and the DB size has reached to 165GB now.

TSM support has found some discrepancies in data and suggested me to dump & load/audit db. I want to get your reviews with this? Has anyone performed this before - can you please share your experiences with this?

Thanks

Hi,

it can take very long time (days) and the problem is you cannot estimate the time properly. Audit DB pops out messages about objects (or other word ... do not remember now) processed but it is not the number of files in the DB and the rate of items processed is not constant ....
Another thing is that the audit MAY NOT solve the problem.
What I did several times was - backup the TSM DB, restore it on the test machine and run the auditdb there. You can see if any problem was found/fixed and you get a time estimation (plus your production environment is not affected).

Harry

I had to go through this process a few years ago. Had a 400GB DB on AIX, took over 2 weeks to finish and did not resolve the problem. Since I couldn't go that long without backups, I created a new instance of TSM before I started this process, and started backing up every client to the new instance. At least that gave me something to restore from while this dump/load process was running. In the end I had to export what I could from old instance to new instance and just delete the old instance DB.

Harry_Redl, Yes- Thanks for this. I will be doing the same.

rowl, Thats terrible...2 weeks and still the issue was not resolved. Anyway thanks for sharing this

Back