TSM DB backup

Bharanij

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
iam taking tsm db backup on disk which is best to keep tsm db disk or tape ?

1.can i take backup on tape and disk back to back ?
2.how your are taking manual or automatic ?

Do you have more than one Spectrum Protect Server? If so, best method:
- backup server1 to server1 disk (not the same disks the database is on)
- use the baclient on server1 to backup the files created above to server2 along with dsmserv.opt, volhist and devconfig

Vice-versa from server2 to server1.

This way, if you need to restore due to corruption or a lost disk, you restore from disk. If you lose the whole server, you use the baclient to restore the files from the other server, then restore from disk. The latter would just be in the case of a disaster.

Hi,

I do not think db2 supports backup to two different targets simultaneously.

I run db backup automatically, twice a day.

Always can do a full database backup to disk and a dbsnap to tape. Just remember snapshot won't clear archive log. Then have a copy of your volhist, devconfig, dsmserv.opt shipped to another server that's offsite.
Obviously more to it than that, but that's the basics of it.

we have only one server so iam taking in tape full db backup and did one day volhist delete

1.How to send tsmdb to office site after i took full backup?
2.we have define a scrip "del volhist todate=today-1 type=dbb" after insert the office site tape will be get deleted ?

note:- i dont have DRM setup

1.How to send tsmdb to office site after i took full backup?
Usually by courier.
2.we have define a scrip "del volhist todate=today-1 type=dbb" after insert the office site tape will be get deleted ?
The tape will return to scratch, but so free to use. The content is not deleted, it's overwritten the next time the tape will be used either as a new storage pool volume or a new database backup.

Last edited:
that mean tsm db full backup will work when server restore right ? if i put the tape while server live it will erase the backup which is used.

that mean tsm db full backup will work when server restore right ?
Yes if you the volhist that goes with it.
if i put the tape while server live it will erase the backup which is used.
Only if it's after del volhist has already removed it. And it will not delete it, it will just return it to scratch. So, if you still have the volhist and the tape has not been reused, you could still restore from it.

Back