TSM db backup hanging

okriss

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Could you please help me with db backup problem?

I started a full db backup manually. It took 16.4 GB data....(the db backup which is directed to filedev is almost the same size and it is always sucess)... so I think it can backup everything, but cannot stop...or something.

cmd: ba db devc=LTO6 NUMStreams=1 type=full w=y

45 Database Backup TYPE=FULL in progress. Bytes backed up: 16,340
MB. Current output volume(s): RI0231L6.

...and it is just hanging. I cannot see any error in actlog....
Do you have any idea what could it be?

Thank you!

Define hanging?
After the database backup is done it has some background work to do to clear out logs and what not. Its fairly normal for the process to exist for several minutes after it finished backing up the database.

Now, if it's sitting out there for an hour, then yeah. Might have an issue that would likely best be addressed by a ticket to IBM.

Define hanging?
After the database backup is done it has some background work to do to clear out logs and what not. Its fairly normal for the process to exist for several minutes after it finished backing up the database.

Now, if it's sitting out there for an hour, then yeah. Might have an issue that would likely best be addressed by a ticket to IBM.

hello,

Sorry, I missed you answer...

Yes, the backup just hanging...on tape device. If i run the backup to filedev, it will be finished.
i let it go because we got a new hw fot SP 8.1.10, so i bulid a new one.

BUT...

I have ran into the same problem on other TSM (7.1) where neither the tape backup nor the filedev backup do anything, just hang and 0 byte is being written to the dbv file.

db log dont show anything....actlog is clear.... I dont know what could be the problem!
Any suggestion?... or the only thing what i can do is an IBM ticket?

Congratulations on new hardware! Make sure you look at 8.1.10.100, a few CVE's fixed in the .100 release. Oh and follow the blueprint as best as you can.

And yeah, if its at the start of the process, I know it can take a bit to mount tape devices, but I would expect the file volumes to be pretty quick, unless storage is slow? As I said above, at the end of a backup there's work being processed in the background.

Silly question are you calling delvolhist type=dbb right before the database backup is started? I noticed when my storage wasn't performing where it should be, trying to delete all the 50g file volumes created by the backup would cause my storage performance be horrible. Which would the affect the next line in my admin script of backup db devc=filedevc. Not saying its the case, but food for thought.

Anyway, I'd say get a point open with IBM.

Silly question are you calling delvolhist type=dbb right before the database backup is started? I noticed when my storage wasn't performing where it should be, trying to delete all the 50g file volumes created by the backup would cause my storage performance be horrible. Which would the affect the next line in my admin script of backup db devc=filedevc. Not saying its the case, but food for thought.

Anyway, I'd say get a point open with IBM.

Hello,

As i see, the db backup ran almost 4 hrs on filedev... :-S ...crazy...
After it i could backup the volhist and the config files...it seems, the tsm server performance is much better (but not what i expect) after the backup and restart.

I will try the volhist delete, it is a good idea.

8.1.10.100 cve: I must read it, because i have ran into error durint the server install... I installed the server and it searched for an existent db2 instance...

Thank you for your answer!

Back