Tsm Database Replication

Ozdemir

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Im little bit confused about protection of tsm database. We have 2 sites one is prod other is dr.And we have tsm 6.3 with extended edit. license. i have couple of questions for disaster scenario.
2 sites connected to each other with 30 mbps. i want to be able to restore prod. servers from library at dr site. also vice versa.

i defined servers to each other and my prod. server can backup database into other server(at drs) library. but i couldnt find a way to recover it.

my questions;

1) is tsm full database backup enough to recover database to drs site ? or do i have to also backup other config files ?
2) is it right way to back up tsm to other server to protect database ? ( because i dont want to send data over the network i just want to send database backup to other location)
3) if its the right way to send database backup to dr site how can i recover it ? ( at dr site i can see files in volume belongs to prod. tsm database but i couldnt find a way to restore it. And i want to still be able to use dr server as it is. thats why for disaster recovery test i think i need second instance on dr server to restore prod. db on to right ?
4) is there any other way to do this replication ? i want 2 database to be sync.

Thank you.

Hi Everyone,

Im little bit confused about protection of tsm database. We have 2 sites one is prod other is dr.And we have tsm 6.3 with extended edit. license. i have couple of questions for disaster scenario.
2 sites connected to each other with 30 mbps. i want to be able to restore prod. servers from library at dr site. also vice versa.

i defined servers to each other and my prod. server can backup database into other server(at drs) library. but i couldnt find a way to recover it.

my questions;

1) is tsm full database backup enough to recover database to drs site ? or do i have to also backup other config files ?
2) is it right way to back up tsm to other server to protect database ? ( because i dont want to send data over the network i just want to send database backup to other location)
3) if its the right way to send database backup to dr site how can i recover it ? ( at dr site i can see files in volume belongs to prod. tsm database but i couldnt find a way to restore it. And i want to still be able to use dr server as it is. thats why for disaster recovery test i think i need second instance on dr server to restore prod. db on to right ?
4) is there any other way to do this replication ? i want 2 database to be sync.

Thank you.

A few details is needed:

On what media is the TSM DB written to at the DR site - disk or tape? Is the TSM DB data on the DR site always a FULL DB backup?

If the DB backup on the DR site is on tape, all you have to do is mount the tape to the DR TSM server and do a restore. You need the DR plan from The PROD server to recover, or you can copy over the device configuration, volume history, and dsmserv.opt files.

If the DB backup is on devclass=file (meaning on disk), all you need is to restore the DR server with the PROD DB backup using the backup files from the disk. Again, you need the files mentioned above.

As for syncing, all you can achieve is a point-in-time sync - good from the last TSM DB backup.

Last edited:
A few details is needed:

On what media is the TSM DB written to at the DR site - disk or tape? Is the TSM DB data on the DR site always a FULL DB backup?

If the DB backup on the DR site is on tape, all you have to do is mount the tape to the DR TSM server and do a restore. You need the DR plan from The PROD server to recover, or you can copy over the device configuration, volume history, and dsmserv.opt files.

If the DB backup is on devclass=file (meaning on disk), all you need is to restore the DR server with the PROD DB backup using the backup files from the disk. Again, you need the files mentioned above.

As for syncing, all you can achieve is a point-in-tin sync - good from the last TSM DB backup.

Thank you for your answer :) Yes always full backup. Backup files are in tape at dr site. i can see them with q content as archive files. i think i need to copy devconf,volhist,dsmserv.opt to new tsm server and overwrite it to new server right ?

Hello Back,

I sent (devconf,volhis,dsmserv) files to server at dr site and i run " dsmserv.exe restore db todate=05/26/2014" (this is test database backup date)

Tape is mounted on disaster tsm but it gives me following error.

ANR4592I Restore database backup series 489 includes eligible operation 0 with
volume T***-TSM02.DBV.401168485 having sequence 10187 and using device class
TSM02.
ANR4598I Validating database backup information for selected backup series 489
and operation 0 using volume T***-TSM02.DBV.401168485.
ANR0478W Session request refused. Server is running in standalone mode.
ANR4373E Session rejected by target server T***-TSM02, reason: No Resource.
ANR1401W Mount request denied for volume T***-TSM02.DBV.401168485 - mount
failed.
ANR4602E No volumes found for TODATE 26.05.2014 23:59:59.
ANR4578E Database backup/restore terminated - required volume was not mounted.
ANR1794W TSM SAN discovery is disabled by options.

Do i need to edit device config file to make tsm to see volume ? i tried to edit but it failed again.

Thank you

Yes, you need to tell TSM where to find the tape.

At times, I specify a standalone tape drive, mount the tape, and do the restore.

Yes, you need to tell TSM where to find the tape.

At times, I specify a standalone tape drive, mount the tape, and do the restore.

Thank you again moon-buddy :) i tried with prod server's devconf. file but it couldnt find volume.

here is my original ( from prod server) devconf. file

/* Device Configuration */
DEFINE DEVCLASS FILEDEV1 DEVT=FILE FORMAT=DRIVE MAXCAP=52428800K MOUNTL=30 DIR="F:\TIVOLI\TSM\DISKPOOL" SHARE=NO
DEFINE DEVCLASS FILEDEV2 DEVT=FILE FORMAT=DRIVE MAXCAP=83886080K MOUNTL=20 DIR="E:\TIVOLI\TSM\DBBACKUP" SHARE=NO
DEFINE DEVCLASS LTODEVC DEVT=LTO FORMAT=DRIVE MOUNTL=300 MOUNTWAIT=5 MOUNTRETENTION=5 PREFIX=ADSM LIBRARY=LTO5 WORM=NO DRIVEENCRYPTION=ALLOW LBPROTECT=NO
DEFINE DEVCLASS TSM02 DEVT=SERVER MAXCAP=512000K MOUNTL=1 MOUNTRETENTION=2 PREFIX=ADSM SERVERNAME=T***-TSM02 RETRYPERIOD=10 RETRYINTERVAL=30
DEFINE SERVER T***-TSM02 COMMMETHOD=TCPIP HLADDRESS=192.***.***.*** LLADDRESS=1500 NODENAME=T****-TSM01 PASSWORD=21622e5e040fee2515d9d8bd1cbd802 SERVERPASSWORD=21622e5e040fee2515d9d8bd1cbd802
SET SERVERNAME T****-TSM01
SET SERVERPASSWORD 21622e5e040fee2515d9d8bd1cbd802
DEFINE LIBRARY LTO5 LIBTYPE=SCSI SERIAL="00L4U78P4616_LL1" SHARED=NO AUTOLABEL=NO RESETDRIVE=NO
DEFINE DRIVE LTO5 DRIVE3 ELEMENT=256 ONLINE=Yes WWN="2007000E11140D38" SERIAL="1068019688"
DEFINE DRIVE LTO5 DRIVE4 ELEMENT=257 ONLINE=Yes WWN="200A000E11140D38" SERIAL="9068073638"
/* LIBRARYINVENTORY SCSI LTO5 152BBGL5 4117 101*/
/* LIBRARYINVENTORY SCSI LTO5 153BBGL5 4118 101*/
and it lists volumes like this.

and my disaster site tsm devcf. file includes.

/* Device Configuration */
DEFINE DEVCLASS LTODEV DEVT=LTO FORMAT=DRIVE MOUNTL=DRIVES MOUNTWAIT=60 MOUNTRETENTION=60 PREFIX=ADSM LIBRARY=LTO5 WORM=NO DRIVEENCRYPTION=ALLOW LBPROTECT=NO
DEFINE SERVER TRSGCF-TSM01 COMMMETHOD=TCPIP HLADDRESS=192.***.***.*** LLADDRESS=1500 SERVERPASSWORD=21622e5e040fee2515d9d8bd1cbd80207b
SET SERVERNAME T****-TSM02
SET SERVERPASSWORD 21622e5e040fee2515d9d8bd1cbd802
DEFINE LIBRARY LTO5 LIBTYPE=SCSI SERIAL="00L4U78P4604_LL1" SHARED=NO AUTOLABEL=YES RESETDRIVE=NO
DEFINE DRIVE LTO5 DRIVE3 ELEMENT=256 ONLINE=Yes WWN="2007000E111477C5" SERIAL="1068018897"
/* LIBRARYINVENTORY SCSI LTO5 054BHNL4 4114 101*/
DEFINE PATH ****-TSM02 LTO5 SRCTYPE=SERVER DESTTYPE=LIBRARY DEVICE=lb0.1.0.1 ONLINE=YES
DEFINE PATH ****-TSM02 DRIVE3 SRCTYPE=SERVER DESTTYPE=DRIVE LIBRARY=LTO5 DEVICE=mt0.0.0.1 ONLINE=YES
SERVERBACKUPNODEID 1

my backup located in /* LIBRARYINVENTORY SCSI LTO5 054BHNL4 4114 101*/ this volume at drs site.

do i need to edit my original one ? atcually i tried to edit. but still i cant restore :) how should my devconf. be look like ?

thank you so much again

Using the PROD server device configuration files as is will not work. You have to edit it and tell TSM WHERE to find the tape.

Open the library and put the DB tape in an empty slot. Edit the the device configuration file so show where you put the tape in. In you PROD configuration above, the following lines is what you need to modify (or add to your configuration at the DR site):

/* LIBRARYINVENTORY SCSI LTO5 <DB_Volume> <slot_no> 101*/
/* LIBRARYINVENTORY SCSI LTO5 153BBGL5 4118 101*/

tsm is looking for volume name T****-TSM02.DBV.401168485 and those files are in drs library.( db backup of prod) and its in volume name 054BHNL4. when i check drs library (q slots) i see 054BHNL4 informaton like ;
Slot 18,Status=Allocated, element number 4114 barcode present barcode value <054BHNL4> devT=Any MediaT=-1 elemT=ANY

so i edited my dr site device confi file like ;
/* LIBRARYINVENTORY SCSI LTO5 T****-TSM02.DBV.401168485 4114 101*/

or
/* LIBRARYINVENTORY SCSI LTO5 T****-TSM02.DBV.401168485 18 101*/

or
/* LIBRARYINVENTORY SCSI LTO5 054BHNL4 18 101*/

But none of them didnt work :( i dont know where im missing.

tsm is looking for volume name T****-TSM02.DBV.401168485 and those files are in drs library.( db backup of prod) and its in volume name 054BHNL4. when i check drs library (q slots) i see 054BHNL4 informaton like ;
Slot 18,Status=Allocated, element number 4114 barcode present barcode value <054BHNL4> devT=Any MediaT=-1 elemT=ANY

so i edited my dr site device confi file like ;
/* LIBRARYINVENTORY SCSI LTO5 T****-TSM02.DBV.401168485 4114 101*/

or
/* LIBRARYINVENTORY SCSI LTO5 T****-TSM02.DBV.401168485 18 101*/

or
/* LIBRARYINVENTORY SCSI LTO5 054BHNL4 18 101*/

But none of them didnt work :( i dont know where im missing.

How do you backup your DB? Always FULL or a mix of FULL and Incremental? Are these backups always go to tape or some (incremental) go to devclass=file?

When you restore from a PIT, is this pointing to a FULL DB backup? If there had been incremental backups, TSM would look for these. You cannot define devclass=file in a tape library :(

Last edited:
Yes always full and they goes to file device normally. but we deployed 2. tsm to disaster site. And i made connection between servers and from prod server to drs server i backed up server. ( device class was SERVER) after backup finished i see lots of "T****-TSM02.DBV.401168485" with different ending number like "...83-84-85" ( as archive file in 054BHNL4 ) i saw documentation for it on ibm site but only for backup not for restoring

So you have devclass=file and NOT DB to tape backups. You have to tell TSM where to look for the DEVCLASS=FILE by stating the directory path on the DR site where the DB backup files are.

I have not done this setup before since I used DB backup replication via Data Domain and I get one-to-one naming, i.e., source name = destination name.

In any regard, the original DB backup name from PROD should be the same as the replicated DB backup name. If not, rename the DR backup to what was in the PROD environment.

Thank you so much but im little bit confused :)

yes if i only run "dsmserv.exe restore db " i think its trying to find most recent backup and it would need file class backups. but if i command with date option and ( when remote server backup operation is completed) its looking for right volume which is "T****-TSM02.DBV.401168485" and as far as i understand this virtual volume is inside of 054BHNL4 and tsm couldnt find it. there is no volume named in tsm like this.(TSM02.DBV.401168485) i wonder how would tsm normally understand that this is virtual volume and its inside of another physical volume. Thank you :)

You cannot restore from an archived data that is on a data tape.

You have to restore from the location specified for the devclass=file.

Back