TSM Database Recovery Fails

bbricker

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
I am attempting to do a test restore from our production TSM Server (5.5.4.2) to our DR TSM Server (5.5.4.2). The production TSM server uses a tape library (ULT3580-TD3) and the DR uses a manual tape drive (ULT3580-HH3.) Both environments are in W2K3

For the DR Environment here is the 'devcnfg.out' file:
/* Device Configuration */
SET SERVERNAME BACKUP003
DEFINE DEV LTO DEVT=LTO FORMAT=DRIVE LIBRARY=LTOLIB1
DEFINE LIBRARY LTOLIB1 LIBTYPE=MANUAL
DEFINE DRIVE LTOLIB1 MANUALDRIVE ONLINE=Yes
DEFINE PATH BACKUP003 MANUALDRIVE SRCTYPE=SERVER DESTTYPE=DRIVE LIBRARY=LTOLIB1 DEVICE=\\.\Tape0 ONLINE=YES
/* Device Configuration */
The process in the DR environment is as follows:
1. Initialize the TSM Server (server1).
2. Stop the TSM Server1 service.
3. Delete the .disk, .log, .db files create in step 1.
4. Create the directory specified in the disk1.dsm file
5. Run the following command from C:\program files\tivoli\tsm\server1\c:\progra~1\tivoli\tsm\server\dsmserv –k server1 loadformat 1 c:\tsmdata\log\logvol01.dsm 2048 1 c:\tsmdata\db\dbvol01.dsm 4096
6. Change directory C:\program files\tivoli\tsm\server\ and run dsmserv -k server1 restore db dev=lto vol=volumename commit=yes

This is where I get stalled out. Recovery log format in progress begins and completes formatting. The window then prompts for me to Mount the LTO volume. When I insert the tape specified in step 6 I receive the following:

ANR8335I 001: Verifying label of LTO volume 000009L3 in drive MANUALDRIVE(\\.\Tape0).
ANR8311E An I/O error occurred while accessing drive MANUALDRIVE (\\.\Tape0)for READ operation, errno = 1117, rc = 1.
ANR8353E 001: I/O error reading label of volume in drive MANUALDRIVE \\.\Tape0).
I have tried multiple database tapes, checked the firmware version, driver version, and all the basics. I have cleaned the drive.

I am by no means a TSM expert :confused:, so please provide as much detail as possible in your response and any steps I should try.

Much appreciated to anyone who can help me out.

Thanks.

Hi,

what driver do you use? What driver is specified in the Windows device manager? What happens when you use IBM naming convention (not \\.\Tape0 but mtX.Y.Z.U)? Can you use the drive with newly created TSM instance (from step 1.) (label tapes, backup DB ....)?

Harry

- I am using the IBM driver (6.2.1.2 - 8/27/2010.)
- I recreated the server1 instance and was able to do all normal TSM functions (backup, q acct, etc..)
- I tried using the TSM Name (mtx.x.x.x) for restore and received the same error codes from original post.
- IBM also sent out a new tape drive to eliminate it as an issue.

Any other help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Back