TSM database expiration

oguri

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hello,

We have TSM server machine with nearly 65 GB of Database . Daily we take the backup to the disk on the tsm server 150 GB . We can store the database backup of 2 days.
so we are removing the volume history of 2 days. Now I want To use DRM How to set the "DB BACKUP EXPIRYDAYS" for this situation.
Can we take multiple database backups to a single tape.(because we have 3592 tapes which are 900 GB , our database size only 60 GB) ?

any experts please give your suggestions.

Thanks for your reply,

we have TSM EE v 6.2.2.0.

and my doubt is "IS the database backup volumes in on the server will be deleted by the MOVE DR MEDIA or EXPIRE INVENTORY" ?

and how many days i have to set in the DB BACKUP EXPIRATION DAYS IN THE DRM (details i mentioned in the previous thread)?

Thanq very much for your help,

are we have to mention the virtual DBB volumes also in the "MOVE DR MEDIA" command ?

IS THAT WILL DELETE THE VOLUMES FROM THE DISK AFTER THE DBB VOLUMES EXPIRES ?

please give your advice.

IN IBM ADMIN GUIDE i had seen the following

When you have the disaster recovery manager function for your Tivoli
Storage Manager server, the inventory expiration process also removes
eligible virtual volumes that are used by the following processes
:

* Database backups of type BACKUPFULL, BACKUPINCR, and DBSNAPSHOT. The
SET DRMDBBACKUPEXPIREDAYS command controls when these volumes are
eligible for expiration.

If the expire process removes the tapes then why we have to use "MOVE DR MEDIA" for virtual volumes ?

please suggest i am highly confused ?

"move drmedia" just changes the DRM stages of the volumes. I would suggest first keep yourself familiar with various DRM stages and their sequence.

dbexpiredays will take care of DB tapes only. Your data-tapes will be expired and called back per your retention settings only, drmexpiredays do not interfere there.

I understand. It can be very confusing to start with. First, unlearn you have learned so far and then revisit DRM section again from scratch. Good Luck!

Back