tsm data move between two sites via export/import with vtl replication

sra006

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
http
PREDATAR Control23

I need to build a copy of the production server on a remote location.
The issue is the regular network connectivity is not enough to use server to server exports or nodes replications.
There is however the established data domains on both sides with good replication speeds.
My plan is to build a pool of exports on the source vtl ( dd) and replicate it to the target vtl (dd).
When the vvolumes are in-sync I should be able to run import into a new tsm instance on the target server..
This will be a slow process, but my main objective now is to make sure it is workable from the tsm end .
i.e - the volsers on both sides ( export tapes) - should they be identical ?
any issues with the target volsers after the sync related to tape status ( exported from source) ?
I think the tape status on the target vtl should not matter, but do I need to checkout/ check in them to mimic the regular process of exports / import movement for regular libraries ?

Thank you,
any suggestions will be appreciated .
Al

PREDATAR Control23

Thanks, this will make it easier to handle exports labels sequences for imports .
Also from the tsm end the target tsm server will not know about the virtual tapes content.
I believe that after the sync is done I need to checkout/checkin the virtual tapes and than I should be able to import them .
One question here - how does replication affects this process? Do I need to disable it while working on the target tapes( imports?)

PREDATAR Control23

You should be able to checkin the tape in a read only status, but I usually make a copy of the tape and then check in the copy and import the data. Remember the export is independent of the TSM server so the label does not have to be the same as the server it was created on.

PREDATAR Control23

Thanks a lot, this clarifies the process. I will read more on VTL functionality for making tape copies
Al