TSM commands help

seekerTSM

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

hi,

i am a HP data protector for almost 10 years. this is the first time handling TSM. can you kindly help me on this

we have a failed backup then when i rerun the backup, i cant see the details of the rerun backup in the q event command.

is there a command where i can see all the backup runs, scheduled and re-run?

can i also now how to check start/end of the backup(ELAPSED time)

ur assistance is much appreciated

PREDATAR Control23

Hi,

Could you please explain what exactly you mean with "rerun" a backup ? How do you initiate this ?

You have to understand that "q event" command will only return information about scheduled backups (means there must be a schedule defined in TSM server, and this schedule has to be associated with some client node existing on he TSM server. To find these, try following commands : "q sched * * f=d" and "q assoc * *").
Thus, if you did not make use of a schedule to initiate your backup "rerun", the command will not provide any information.
Note as well, that you might use "q event * * f=d" to get details on the start and end time for a given backup schedule.

For your information, there's a table in TSM database, named "summary", which, you guessed it, is summarizing most of the operations executed on the TSM server. This includes of course backup as well as archive operations.
It is possible to execute SQL queries against this table, to extract the information you're needing.
Following example would provide you with backup/archive activity for each node during the last 24 hours :

SELECT entity as "NODE", number as "SESSION", activity, -
TO_CHAR(CHAR(start_time),'YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS') as START_TIME, -
TRANSLATE('a bc:de:fg', DIGITS(end_time-start_time), '_______abcdefgh_____',' ') as "ELAPTIME (D HHMMSS)", -
CAST(bytes/1024/1024 AS DECIMAL(8,2)) as "MB", -
CAST(bytes/TIMESTAMPDIFF(2,CHAR(end_time-start_time))/1024/1024 AS DECIMAL(8,2)) AS "MB/s" -
FROM summary WHERE ( activity='ARCHIVE' OR activity='BACKUP' ) AND -
start_time>=current_timestamp - 24 hours

You just have to copy-paste the whole text (exactly as is) into TSM server command line interface to get the data !

Cheers.

Arnaud

PREDATAR Control23

thanks for the reply sir!

for example, the schedule backup is failed, and i rerun it. i didnt see the session of my rerun on the q event

PREDATAR Control23

Sorry, but you did not answer my previous question : how do you "rerun" the schedule ?
Please provide the command you used ...

PREDATAR Control23

for example, we have a failed 12. i just go to the server and open cli then i type i -absolute.

but when i check q event, i cant see any details of my rerun

PREDATAR Control23

OK, things are getting clearer now !
In such a case, there will indeed be no information to be found in the output of "q event", as this was not a scheduled backup.
In this case, the "summary" table will be your best friend if you would like to check your backup jobs from a centralized location.

PREDATAR Control23

thanks Mate!

do you happen to know how to properly backup a drive?

in data protector, if you select drive C for example, all drive C will be backup.

so if i want to backup all the files in drive C is this the right command inc -absolute C: ?

also, if i backup the whole drive, will it also backup the file or path that is excluded in the dsm.opt? will it backup all even the excluded?

thank mate for your answer.

PREDATAR Control23

addional questions/confirmation

inc -absolute C:

is this the right command to backup all, i mean all and everything of drive C

PREDATAR Control23

Will it back up even the excluded?

So if i run inc -absolute c: all of the file, folder, subfolder and everything will be backup? I mean everything?

By default there are some folder and file thats excluded in drive C. If i run that command, is the excluded will also run?

PREDATAR Control23

inc -absolute C: will backup everything even if there were no recent changes. BUT IT WILL NOT BACKUP EXCLUDED FILES OR DIRECTORIES.

PREDATAR Control23

I'm curious, do you have a requirement to backup everything everyday? Typically, most people use an incremental forever approach, takes less processing time and less storage. If there's a requirement to keep monthly/quarterly/yearly backups longer, that can be achieved with retention sets while still only doing daily incremental backups. No need to do additional backups.

PREDATAR Control23

I'm curious, do you have a requirement to backup everything everyday? Typically, most people use an incremental forever approach, takes less processing time and less storage. If there's a requirement to keep monthly/quarterly/yearly backups longer, that can be achieved with retention sets while still only doing daily incremental backups. No need to do additional backups.

thanks for the reply. no, its just a want time backup. i am just confuse if that command will backup everything even the excluded. i just got the answer that it will not backup the excluded files by default.

PREDATAR Control23

thanks for the reply. no, its just a want time backup. i am just confuse if that command will backup everything even the excluded. i just got the answer that it will not backup the excluded files by default.
I meant everything as in a full backup versus an incremental backup, excluded files are still excluded.