TSM Client Problem..

venkattsm

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi...Can anyone help me in these regard
tsm client is getting started but immediateldy disconnecting the sessio.

and in dsmerror.log it showing the following errors.

02/22/07 16:15:30 ANS1809W A session with the TSM server has been disconnected. An attempt will be made to reestablish the connection.
02/22/07 16:15:31 ANS1809W A session with the TSM server has been disconnected. An attempt will be made to reestablish the connection.
02/22/07 16:24:53 ANS1809W A session with the TSM server has been disconnected. An attempt will be made to reestablish the connection.
02/22/07 16:24:54 ANS1809W A session with the TSM server has been disconnected. An attempt will be made to reestablish the connection.
02/22/07 16:34:16 ANS1809W A session with the TSM server has been disconnected. An attempt will be made to reestablish the connection.
02/22/07 16:34:17 ANS1809W A session with the TSM server has been disconnected. An attempt will be made to reestablish the connection.

TSM Client Problem.. ANS1809W

Funny thing, one of my clients just started doing this as well. I changed the commtimeout from 60 to 3600 but it just increased the number of open sessions and created havoc on my backup start times. The server is backing up but it just creates several of these.

I know there was no changes on the client or TSM server at the time but they said they were screwing around with the TCP/IP settings and RRAS for some reason.

Hi...Can anyone help me in these regard
tsm client is getting started but immediateldy disconnecting the sessio.

and in dsmerror.log it showing the following errors.

02/22/07 16:15:30 ANS1809W A session with the TSM server has been disconnected. An attempt will be made to reestablish the connection.
02/22/07 16:15:31 ANS1809W A session with the TSM server has been disconnected. An attempt will be made to reestablish the connection.
02/22/07 16:24:53 ANS1809W A session with the TSM server has been disconnected. An attempt will be made to reestablish the connection.
02/22/07 16:24:54 ANS1809W A session with the TSM server has been disconnected. An attempt will be made to reestablish the connection.
02/22/07 16:34:16 ANS1809W A session with the TSM server has been disconnected. An attempt will be made to reestablish the connection.
02/22/07 16:34:17 ANS1809W A session with the TSM server has been disconnected. An attempt will be made to reestablish the connection.

Once in a while I see this in one of the Win 2003 servers I backup. The remedy that I do so far is to restart the TSM Scheduler service.

A closer look on why this happens is primarily due to the data link of this server to the TSM server. The server is connected to a MPLS link wherein the link is poorly routed. Obviously, this server is not within the local LAN of the TSM server.

If your server is within the local LAN, take a look at the switch or router settings as the case maybe. If you have it in a remote site, ask that the data line linking the server to the TSM server is drop-free or routing properly.

Last edited:
Thanks 'MCODE'

I had changed my commtimeout option from 60 to 1800. and it worked. The next day backup completed successfully..

Where do you set the commtimeout setting, on the server or each client?

Looking at the timestamps in the dsmerror.log provided above, I don't think that COMMTIMEOUT is necessarily a culprit here.

I've seen this happen where there are multiple messy firewalls/switches between client and server - rightly or wrongly, tinkering with the client setting TCPWINDOWSIZE on the client helped to reduce the problem (the values that worked best were actually very low, in the region of 7 iirc but have a go to see if/what works best for you).

Rgds,

David Mc,
London

ANS1809W A session with the TSM server has been disconnected.

Hello all, I need some help to fix this issue, I have weekend jobs that runs a flashcopy script between storages and after that we take an incremental backup of one of the cluster.
My TSM server run in an AIX box. My problem is that I have this alerts during the bakup Jobs "ANS1809W A session with the TSM server has been disconnected."
The jobs completed properly but those alerts still appearing and I don't know why.

IBM Tivoli Storage Manager
Command Line Backup/Archive Client Interface
Client Version 5, Release 4, Level 1.5
Client date/time: 05/10/09 07:43:20
(c) Copyright by IBM Corporation and other(s) 1990, 2007. All Rights Reserved.

Node Name: AIX22
Session established with server TSMSERVER: AIX-RS/6000
Server Version 5, Release 4, Level 3.2
...skipping...
Incremental backup of volume '/home/oradata/infowhse/*'

ANS1809W A session with the TSM server has been disconnected. An attempt will be made to reestablish the connection.
^MA Reconnection attempt will be made in 00:00:14 ^MA Reconnection attempt will be made in 00:00:13 ^MA Reconnection attempt
will be made in 00:00:12 ^MA Reconnection attempt will be made in 00:00:11 ^MA Reconnection attempt will be made in 00:00:10
^MA Reconnection attempt will be made in 00:00:09 ^MA Reconnection attempt will be made in 00:00:08 ^MA Reconnection attempt
will be made in 00:00:07 ^MA Reconnection attempt will be made in 00:00:06 ^MA Reconnection attempt will be made in 00:00:05
^MA Reconnection attempt will be made in 00:00:04 ^MA Reconnection attempt will be made in 00:00:03 ^MA Reconnection attempt
will be made in 00:00:02 ^MA Reconnection attempt will be made in 00:00:01 ^MA Reconnection attempt will be made in 00:00:00
... successful
Successful incremental backup of '/home/oradata/bcpsfprd/data2/*'

Total number of objects inspected: 67
Total number of objects backed up: 66
Total number of objects updated: 0
Total number of objects rebound: 0
Total number of objects deleted: 0
Total number of objects expired: 0
Total number of objects failed: 0
Total number of bytes transferred: 262.20 GB
Data transfer time: 683.85 sec
Network data transfer rate: 402,043.62 KB/sec
Aggregate data transfer rate: 33,849.34 KB/sec
Objects compressed by: 0%
Elapsed processing time: 02:15:22
... successful

Communication Timeout

You can take your comm time out value all the way to this setting:

COMMTimeout 14400

Also, think about retry option as well...how many times it will try to re-initiate the backup session in case of network issues.

Regards,

Roy

Also check for duplicate DNS entries on the client. Do about a half dozen nslookup xx.xx.xx.xx (IP, not dns name) in rapid succession, if you see more than one host name come back then this is likely your problem, assuming you already checked full-duplex and other nic settings.

I think commtimeout only masks or reduces the problem.

Back