TSM client licenses and VM Environment

spiffy

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Hoping someone can answer this question, as i am not sure

I have 8 IBM xSeries 3850s with 8 cores each (4 dual core chips in each machine)
This computes to 400 Value units per server. ( 3200 total VU's) only for BA Client license.

These servers are the VMware Host environment. There are 2 servers set up in here that are Microsoft Exchange servers. The exchange servers can dynamically switch between the 8 servers at any given time.
Question - Do i need to purchase TDP for Exchange licenses for all 8 servers seeing that they bounce back and forth? I assume I cant just buy the licensing for the 2 instances of Exchange and have it follow wherever exchange bouces to in the VM Cluster?
Also have some TDP for SQL on this environment and assume all 8 servers need licensed individually too.

My first guess is i need to have these 8 servers all licensed with the BA Client License, the TDP for SQL and Exchange license
Let me know what you think

Thanks
James

HI
i'm in the same situation and from what i've undertand talking with my rep. Correct me if i'm wrong. You have 2 exchange server. So you need to cover 2 physical box if they do not run on the same server. So 2X 4XDUALCORE same thing for you SQL. If you have 8 SQL server you need 8X 4XDualcore and if you have 20 SQL server it's still 8X 4Dualcore. Cause 8 is your maximum phisical server. But if you have 6 SQL server it will be 6X 4DUALCORE. This cover that fact that You can have an SQL server running on 6 different machine.

Cheers!

Back