TSM Client for OpenBSD

eclypse

Newcomer
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
This is a followup/update to an old post on the OpenBSD misc mailing list by Christian Weisgerber on 18-Aug-2000. The original post can be viewed here:

www.sigmasoft.com/cgi-bin/wilma_hiliter/openbsd-misc/200008/msg01259.html?line=3#hilite

Since the previous post, TSM officially supports Linux, but unfortunately not OpenBSD. =(

I have been successful in getting the TSM 5.2.2 Linux client to work on OpenBSD 3.6 (i386) using the linux emulation package (/usr/ports/emulators/redhat) and copying a few libraries.

I started by installing the TSM client onto a Redhat/Fedora system using RPM. The client installs to /opt/tivoli/ and everything pertaining to it is under this directory. I copied the entire /opt directory (since there was nothing else under it) to /emul/linux/opt on my OpenBSD system.

Next, I did an "ldd /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsmc" to get the list of libraries needed. Most of the ones required are in /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/api/bin/ - just copy *.so to /emul/linux/lib. The only one I had to copy from my RedHat box was libgcc_s.so.1

Next, I ran the following to allow it to see the OpenBSD filesystem:

"sed 's/ffs/ext2/' /etc/fstab > emul/linux/etc/mtab"

After that, I made some symbolic links to some of the files in /emul/linux/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin directory in the /usr/bin directory (e.g. dsmc, dsmadmc).

I made the necessary changes to my dsm.sys and dsm.opt files, as well as registered the node on my TSM server (all of this is beyond the scope of this post), then ran "dsmc i" to start testing my backup.

It is a little quirky and I could not get any of the X11 or java stuff to work correctly (i.e. the client acceptor daemon, web client, scheduler), so you have to schedule it in a cron job. It isn't afraid to dump core on you if you do something it doesn't like, but just the command line client seems to behave properly.

Something else important to note as well - any directory that is in /emul/linux and has a counterpart in / will not get backed up (i.e. I was trying to back up /var/named, but because there is an /emul/linux/var directory, /var/named wasn't getting backed up, just /emul/linux/var and dsmc would dump core if you tried to force it to backup /var/named). You'll have to either rename or use symlinks or move the files you want to backup to another location that doesn't cause this problem.

Hope someone will find this useful as I was unable to find much of anything useful about it when I looked. =)

Back