TSM Client for Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 debian tty1

bonobos

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

is there a TSM client for [FONT=Courier New,Courier,Feste Breite]Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 debian tty1?
[/FONT]

Hi,

you can create your own using "alien" OR I can send you a building HOWTO OR you look here in download section ....
If you want 5.5 client, let me know

Harry

Hi,

I tried tsm-client_5.4.1.0_i386.deb from http://adsm.org/files/TSM/Clients/Linux/Debian/
which didn't work, but tsm-client_5.3.4.3_fix1_i386.deb worked! Also the webGUI worked like a charm. Thanks for that!!!

The only thing is that the scheduler, which should start automatically in the background after restart, doesn't start.

Regards, bonobos

Hi,

sorry, there is a known bug in 5.4.1.0_i386 - missing dsmsched.rc script (or you have found another?) - my fault.... have to create a _fix release .....
Scheduler did not start after reboot? Strange .. how you start it later? Is there any error in the dsmsched.log or other TSM logs? What about /var/log/messages?

Harry

Hi,

I started the scheduler with:
nohup dsmc schedule 2> /dev/null &
to run in the background. The server will be restarted once a year, so I could live with that, if the customer can as well ...

Now I have the problem that the scheduler service closes itself every now and then. I have to restart it manually all the time. Is it a bug in version "tsm-client_5.3.4.3_fix1_i386.deb"?

I installed 5.3.4.3 on Debian 4.0, just to remember...

Hi,

none I am aware of - what actlog, dsmsched.log and dsmerror.log say?
I have seen several times problems with scheduler but they were always traceable using logs - wrong IPs in dsm.sys etc ...
But if you have scheduler in /etc/inittab set to respawn then it should get up immediately after fall ...
Again, what is in the logs? Maybe I can help then

Harry

Ok, I told the customer to send me the logs.
But, in general, why do I have a dsm.opt on the Linux client? It exclusively uses the dsm.sys, right? Or do I have to configure the dsm.opt as well?

Just because you mentioned wrong IP's in dsm.sys .... (or maybe dsm.opt???)

bonobos

I attached a zip file with the logfiles. In the dsmsched.log I see at the bottom:

2008-03-29 22:02:22 ANS2820E An interrupt has occurred. The current operation will end and the client will shut down.

Maybe that's the reason?

Attachments

• TSM_debian_20080402.zip
    179.5 KB · Views: 5
Hi,

will go through the logs tomorrow and update this post

In *nix world you have to put all communication options to dsm.sys
dsm.opt is used for selecting server stanzas in dsm.sys and include/exclude files. Having dsm.opt is not a must, but online agents and newer clients complain when they do not have one (it works but I just do not like the error messages to fill up my logs)

Harry

Thanks a lot so far.
Do you know what happens when I use the daily.crontab to start the services, but they are still/already running? Are they started multiple times? How dows TSM react on that? Is there a way to check if the services are running? My Linux know-how is not the best ...

The installation is at a customer site, so I can't test it on my own.

Thanks for your efforts, I really appreciate that.

Best regards,
bonobos

Hi,

first - I did not find anything wrong in the logs except the "ANS2820E An interrupt has occurred..."
But this can mean anything that stops the client. For example pressing Ctrl-C in the client or issuing "kill" command.

If you want to know whether or not the TSM scheduler runs in Linux, use "ps aux | grep dsmc" command. Should return two lines - one for "dsmc sched" and second for "grep dsmc" - if there are multiple "dsmc sched" lines, you are running more schedulers (which can be pretty legal)
You said you are running scheduler via cron - is there a chance you are first killing the "old" instance before running new? In that case you would get the ANS2820E in the dsmerror.log .... How your script in daily.crontab looks like? At what time does it run?

Again - respawn line in the /etc/inittab should keep your scheduler up - if it fails (is killed) it is restarted immediately.

Hope it helps

Harry

Thanks.
When I look with "ps aux", the scheduler is not running.
When I restart the server, the services are not starting themselves, so I start them manually with:

So if the process gets killed, it's not restarting itself (because I don't use the "respawn" command).

The daily.crontab just executes:

Maybe I should check why the services aren't starting after rebooting the server ... As I already mentioned I installed your package "tsm-client_5.3.4.3_fix1_i386.deb" for Debain 4.0, maybe I should try a newer version?

Hi,

weird - just now I have istalled that package on i386 Etch - no problem encountered

you can use newer version, but I did not modify the scripts (too much) so nothing important changed.

let's sort that out - cannot be such a problem :)

Do you have following file? Does that exist? Does look like this? What are the permissions of the file?
Code:
debvmware:~# cat /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsmsched.rc
#!/bin/bash

DSM_DIR=/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin
DSM_CONFIG=/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsm.opt
DSM_LOG=/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin

export DSM_DIR DSM_CONFIG DSM_LOG

/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsmc sched > /dev/null 2>&1

debvmware:~# ls -la /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsmsched.rc
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 234 2006-04-26 05:30 /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsmsched.rc

How your /etc/inittab file looks like? Should contain following line (if you want to respawn dsmc scheduler whenewer it fails for any reason)
Code:
debvmware:~# cat /etc/inittab | grep dsm
tsm::respawn:/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsmsched.rc

If you want dsmc scheduler to start just once (do not respawn), use following variation ov the line (replace "respawn" with "once")
Code:
debvmware:~# cat /etc/inittab | grep dsm
tsm::once:/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsmsched.rc

If you have this line (first or second) and the scheduler is not running, try command
Code:
debvmware:~# telinit q
(should go through the /etc/inittab and run services that should be running)

Waiting for your answer

Harry

Back